Pump won't prime

mazzamike

Mar 30, 2020
Smyrna, TN
I have an in ground, 9ft, 18X36 pool. Changed my sand out yesterday in my Hayward sand filter. 300 LBS. No problems. But now, I can't get my pump to prime most of the time. When it finally does, after several tries I see a lot of air bubbles coming out of the returns. Was not doing any of this until I changed the sand. Thoughts?

Welcome to TFP.

Knowing more about the specifics of your pool and equipment will help us guess at your problem. Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

Also pics of your equipment and valves may help.

Is your pump above or below the pool water level?

I have an in ground, 9ft, 18X36 pool. Changed my sand out yesterday in my Hayward sand filter. 300 LBS. No problems. But now, I can't get my pump to prime most of the time. When it finally does, after several tries I see a lot of air bubbles coming out of the returns. Was not doing any of this until I changed the sand. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_7961.JPG
    IMG_7961.JPG
    343.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7962.JPG
    IMG_7962.JPG
    377.2 KB · Views: 12
Sucking water up your vertical pipes that you have gives the pump a lot more work to do. It sure sounds like you have a suction side air leak.

Since it is tight moving around your pool plumbing I would look carefully for any joint you may have hit and loosened or pipe cracked.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.