Pump won't prime

MirGSS

Jun 3, 2015
Okemos MI
Hi all:
In search of ideas. My pump gets thiiiiiiis close to priming but never seems to get there. It doesn't do the empty/fill back up thing, it just seems to stay at like 95%.

There appears to be enough water in the pool; the skimmers are not doing the whirlpool thing.

And I just looked at the filter after running the pump for almost 24 hours - 50 psi! Yikes! The norm from last year was 15-18.

We are just starting up for the season and everything outwardly looks to be fine. Any idea?

Okay, so I turned off the filter and the pressure gauge went to 35. So I'm guessing 50 is the new 15!

However, pump is still not catching full prime. Same as before - it just seems to run about 90% or so.

I also just tried vacuuming and got dirty water coming out of the returns. Refresh my memory - could that be a spider valve issue?

ok, but did you back wash?

Also you should get that gauge replaced as soon as possible.

tftestkits.com sells a great glycerin filled gauge for a good deal
and should outlast any plastic gauge.

I had an odd thing happen last week, I was looking at my pump
right when the timer went on...I can't explain why but it would
prime then lose prime then prime again. It never had done that
before, so even though I did not need to backwash, I did anyway
and that seems to have settled it. There has been tons of pollen
falling in the pool lately. The water fill line was good too.
not sure why it did that, but a backwash got it going again.

Thats why I suggest trying it.

I did try backwashing and the sight glass was clear. I didn't let it go for very long though so I will try it again.

I swear the gauge I got last year was a glycerin filled one. But I guess I'll just get another.

Thanks for the tip on the filter settings. I will try that and report back.

Backwashed again. Tried setting multiport to recirculate and still had the problem. I checked the spider gasket and the pump filter gasket and they appear to be in working order.

What do I try next? What are the chances this is a plumbing leak? The pump motor is practically brand new - two years old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.