Pump Upgrade Options

pugant

Oct 10, 2021
Corte Madera, CA
Hi All,

I wanted to see if I can get some feedback/advice on the best path for me to upgrade my pump. Currently we have a Hayward Max-Flo II XL 2HP pump that is very noisy and oversized for a 14k gallon pool. We have no features (no heater, water fountain etc) and the pump is on a 4hr per day cycle. Ideally I really want to avoid any re-plumbing if possible as I don't really know how I could without cutting into the concrete (pics attached). From looking around this sub I think I have 3 options and wondering which seems to be the best way forward. I'm looking to redo and automate in the next 3-5 years so that's the time horizon I'm looking at so really trying to do it as cheaply as possible. The pump is on a concrete pad, but is currently raised with a piece of plywood and slate around 0.75" - I'd plan on replacing this with some vibration damping matt of sufficent thickness to have everything line up.

Option 1:
Replace the pump with a Hayward Max-Flo XE VSP with 1.65 THP. This seems to be the lowest risk option, I think I can get this for about $899 and as best I can see has equivalent dimensions on the inlet/outlet.

Option 2:
Replace the motor of the pump with something like the Nidec NPTQ225 THP2.25 VSP, seems like I can get this for around $550 and then would also need a Go-Kit for $50 and I believe I can use the same impeller and diffuser. I'd then need to change the motor myself and hope I don't break anything along the way :D

Option 3:
Get the Calimar 1.65THP VSP like this one and replace the entire pump. From reading the specs, I'm looking at about a 2.5mm difference in distance from the inlet to center of the outlet from my current pump which I would assume is close enough (maybe not though). I think this would be about $400 before shipping.

Are there any other options I'm overlooking? My rough calculations says that I'd save around $700 a year with a VSP so even the most expensive, but safest, option 1 would pay for itself fairly easily.

Appreciate any feedback!

pug,

Based on what you've described I'd go with a motor replace option. But I'd look at the Century V-Green 1.65. Reason I'm suggesting this is you seem definitely interested to save $ and minimum re-piping. You'll need to be sure this works for the pump you're currently using though. One of the reasons I like this brand is you can control with digital inputs or RS485 (with adapter). Another reason is it meets your "no piping changes" requirement. Not sure how old your current pump is but if it's less than 10 years, motor upgrade to vs is likely to have very good economics. Older than 10 years is a little iffy since your pump end is more likely to have a housing crack failure or something pretty expensive to repair before the motor upgrade pays out. If you have a very old pump then change out to a Hayward pump is more likely to meet both your requirements. Calimar makes a very cost effective solution also. 2.5 mm isn't a huge offset and whether it's workable depends a little on how long the piping run is and which direction you need to flex. Sometimes you can take up much of the offset with shims under the pump or just moving the pump closer to the suction connection. and I'd like this option if that's the case. I didn't see any photos and they would help a lot. Can you please try to add them?

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply, and sorry I totally forgot to add photos! I've attached them here - thanks for the thoughts! I think my two primary concerns is to save $$$'s on operating costs, but also to reduce the noise as the current pump is quite loud.

20240428_144159.jpg20220226_135356.jpg20220226_135350.jpg20240428_144123.jpg