Toronto, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
So looking to buy a pump mainly for my 24x44 hockey rink which uses about 4000 gallons. But figured I'd get one that would be good in case I never need it on my pool.

What are folks using that doesn't break the bank?

Will need about 100 foot hose as well.

Thx!

We use this one to drain down our pool when it gets too full.

100' of hose you can probably get 4 or 5 of these and connect them together.

or one of these (above pump has garden hose attachment)

All in for around $100

Last edited:
I have a little giant. But it would take 2 days to pump out 4000 or more gallons from the rink with it. Seems to be more of a pool cover pump if it's the same one I have, was looking for something with quite a bit more oomph.

REVISION FURTHER BELOW. This hose did not work but the concept it correct.

You have a good pump - I have it too. The problem is not your pump, it's likely the hose you are using. That pump is rated for 1700/gph if using 1" I.D. tube per the manual via a 1" fitting. Using a 3/4" x 50' garden hose (which is bigger than a normal 5/8") reduces the performance to 500/gph - regular garden hose would be even less. You would need to remove the plastic adapter that is installed in that pump which reduces the fitting from 1" NPT to 3/4" GHT. Then use this 1" MNPT x 1" NPSH (same threads per in as NPT but not tapered - uses a washer). Moon 358-1061011 Brass Fire Hose Adapter, Nipple, 1" NPT Male x 1" NPSH Male: Industrial Pipe Fittings: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Then I bought this flat 1" hose with 1" NPSH M and F ends. Stanios 4502-1000 Reinforced Blue PVC Lay Flat 1-Inch Water Discharge Hose with 1-Inch Threaded Couplings (25 Feet): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

There are other adapter/hoses/tubing that will work but I was looking for small storage size and durability on the hose while maximizing the output of this pump.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikes112
The problem is not your pump, it's likely the hose you are using
I have the Lowe’s version of the 1/4 Home Depot pump. When using a long hose it works great but doesn’t have the power to push a lot of water. So I made my own hose using 1.5 inch sprinkler pipe and a female garden hose fitting thing. It flows like crazy. Just a solid stream of clear water with no aeration. I used about 40 ft out into the yard, a 90 fitting and another 2 ft piece of pipe. It holds itself low enough in the pool that I don’t have to babysit it.
For the hockey rink it would work even better without the riser pipe by having to overcome less gravity, if you made a 2nd hose adapter piece right to a 90.

You have a good pump - I have it too. The problem is not your pump, it's likely the hose you are using. That pump is rated for 1700/gph if using 1" I.D. tube per the manual via a 1" fitting. Using a 3/4" x 50' garden hose (which is bigger than a normal 5/8") reduces the performance to 500/gph - regular garden hose would be even less. You would need to remove the plastic adapter that is installed in that pump which reduces the fitting from 1" NPT to 3/4" GHT. Then use this 1" MNPT x 1" NPSH (same threads per in as NPT but not tapered - uses a washer). Moon 358-1061011 Brass Fire Hose Adapter, Nipple, 1" NPT Male x 1" NPSH Male: Industrial Pipe Fittings: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Then I bought this flat 1" hose with 1" NPSH M and F ends. Stanios 4502-1000 Reinforced Blue PVC Lay Flat 1-Inch Water Discharge Hose with 1-Inch Threaded Couplings (25 Feet): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

There are other adapter/hoses/tubing that will work but I was looking for small storage size and durability on the hose while maximizing the output of this pump.

So the little giant is fully submersible?

Will try to see if I can find that hose in Canada. If I needed to get two with a coupling.. What size coupling would I need?

Yes the Little Giant cover pump is fully submersible. I put it on our 18” deep step to drain the pool. That hose comes in longer length so you won’t need a coupler. But if you needed to couple two hose lengths it would be a 1” NPSH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
REVISION FURTHER BELOW. This hose did not work but the concept it correct.

So the above was written prior to testing the pump and the flat style 1" hose. The pump doesn't have enough power to open up the flat hose I linked to. So it was a no go. So instead I bought a 1 1/4", 20' long vacuum hose (marketed as for above ground pools since it's smaller than the normal 1 1/2"). It slid over my brass adapter noted above and works like a dream. It pumps out 2-3 times faster than my 3/4" garden hose used to. And being only long, it rolls up around the pump fairly small for storage. Last night I pumped out a few inches of accumulated water like a dream. So fast in fact, that I'll have to modify where the water exits the drain system so it doesn't erode anymore. Good problem.

So the above was written prior to testing the pump and the flat style 1" hose. The pump doesn't have enough power to open up the flat hose I linked to. So it was a no go. So instead I bought a 1 1/4", 20' long vacuum hose (marketed as for above ground pools since it's smaller than the normal 1 1/2"). It slid over my brass adapter noted above and works like a dream. It pumps out 2-3 times faster than my 3/4" garden hose used to. And being only long, it rolls up around the pump fairly small for storage. Last night I pumped out a few inches of accumulated water like a dream. So fast in fact, that I'll have to modify where the water exits the drain system so it doesn't erode anymore. Good problem.
Have a link to the hose? Thanks for posting as I was about to get a custom lie flat 1" ID hose since I had bought the adaptor already.

Well, ended up needing the pipe today in an emergency. 5000 gallon ice rink had a board collapse and I had to act fast to cut a hole into 12“ of ice to get the pump into it.

The hose was great.

Attachments

• IMG_20200223_163451.jpg
    IMG_20200223_163451.jpg
    657.5 KB · Views: 12
It’s kinda like a shop vac. It just sits around 99.9% of the time, But when stuff hits the fan and you need it, you NEED it. Glad you got bonus use out of it also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.