LifeTime Supporter
Sep 9, 2013
Carrollton, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My in-ground pool has a thermostat which automatically turns on the pump if the outside air temp drops below a pre-set temp. Currently the unit is set to 34 degrees and tonight here in DFW it is so far about 9 degrees, with this major artic cold snap.

The pump has run continuously for several days due to the low temps in the first place.

Tonight, a few minutes ago, I started hearing a terrible racket outside my upstairs window where the pump and filter are. When I went outside to investigate, it seems that this thermostat is making the racket. We've lived here 7 years and the device has kicked in a few times but certainly nothing this cold.

Maybe the relay? I've never looked inside the unit.

I have a Ting - an electrical system monitor which State Farm recently sent. The Hi Fi (High Freq) monitor in the device is showing massive spikes of upwards of 100+ (normally in the 3-5 range), coincident with the noise.

As this is a relay unit that bypasses the 'off' switch, I don't know if I could easily bypass this unit and just remove the clock motor pins so the unit would run all the time until the temp rises. Also, it's so cold out that the 30 seconds I spent isolating the SOUND itself was almost too much for me, with wind chills below zero and even bundled up.

My concern is that this could be trying to rapidly cycle the pump motor on and off (I can't tell if it is doing that) and cause damage.

Also, if the relay burns out in the off position then the pump will stop; if it trips the breaker, same.

Any suggestions? Not sure what I can do at this time of night except turn the pump off completely and that would lead to a complete freeze of the plumbing, so it's a lose-lose kind of situation.

I'll be up for a bit longer to listen and think about options while I google to see if I can even find this device if I need a replacement, so if someone responds tonight with ideas I should see them; otherwise first thing in the morning. I think it's possible to send a private message through the forum here so I'll stay logged as long as I can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.