Pump Suggestion- Replacing 1.5 HP SuperPump

Ksfive

May 13, 2018
Hendersonville,tn
Hello everyone,

While my pump is still operating, I think it is time to replace the pump. I routinely have to change seals, gaskets, etc... it is pretty loud, and I do not feel like it circulates as good as it should. To my knowledge, the pool pump is around 10 years old. (Sand Filter is 20 years old just for reference)

Based on my readings on this site, I have determined it would most likely be best to upgrade to a Dual Speed pump. My pipes are 1.5", so I was thinking of keeping it to 1.5 horsepower. I will be installing the pump, and am looking to be completely installed and running around $900. I would certainly prefer less. My Hayward sand filter operates right around 10psi, which seems fairly low. I have battled with Suction side leak...maybe I still have one.

I have a 38k pool, with a Polaris 280 (with booster pump). No waterfalls, features, etc...

I am leaning to this one as it is a variable speed, but is in my budget, any thoughts on this unit?

It looks like the comparable Dual Speed is the same price...and would require a speed switch to wire in?

I would much rather find a dual speed pump with a switch already on the pump as I always try to eliminate any extra parts, and would hate to worry about electronics.

Welcome to the forum!

More than likely, it is just the motor that is going bad. You can replace the existing motor with a two speed motor. How old is the current pump?

It looks like the comparable Dual Speed is the same price...and would require a speed switch to wire in?
No. All VS pump come with internal timers to turn the pump on and off either manually or on a schedule.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply! The pump is 20 years old, the motor is probably around 10 years old (was installed when before I bought the house). Most of the two speed motors I saw were in the $350 price range, it feels like that may be close enough to buying a full pump that I end up just take the plunge for a new unit. Do you have any experience with Pentair pumps? They seem to be the favorite on this board.

If you don't have a controller, then any brand pump will do. Pentair is a good choice although I would probably go with the Intelliflo over the SuperFlo in case you ever want to add a controller. Efficiency and noise performance are better as well.

Stay away from the Superflo VS or anything that has the electronic internal timer! Installed the Superflo in 2017 and the Drive Assembly, the "brain" electronics of the motor, has failed twice! The first time was just outside the warranty period for the entire pump so no assistance with repair there! Found the drive assembly online for about $400 and changed it out myself just 6 months ago. Started up the pool for this season and the replacement part failed within a month! Again, since I was outside the 60 day replacement part warranty period, I'm out the $400! Didn't even get a total run time of 60 days out of the drive as it was replaced at the very end of last season prior to winterizing! Pentair support was NOT helpful and unwilling to help. Online merchant was the same way! Going back to the simple is best method! No electronics for me! Might be fancy but so not worth the aggravation every 1 1/2 years!

Sorry lessma had issues but starting in July 2021 you will only be able to purchase variable/two speed pumps with onboard controllers for pools if THP is 1 or more. So I believe it is best to install one now. If this is a DIY install, Pentair does not have a very good warranty. If that is your concern, then look at Inyopools or Circupool for pumps. If you want the best pump, Mark is right, install an Intelliflo VS 011028.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.