Pump Stop after 20 Min

Phinsana

Jun 26, 2022
New Port Richey, Fl
Goooooooooooood Evening…
My variable Speed Pump would stop running after 20 Min but I can immediately turn it back on without any hesitation. I can do this all day long. It was working find before I cleaned my DE filter. I did a complete clean and replace DE as recommended. The water pressure is at 22 PSI at 100% and 12 at 75%. The pump is not over heating since I can keep my hand on it without any problem. The circuit breaker does tripped. Please help.

Welcome to TFP.
Do you have any automation? Could your pump program been modified by some incidental activity.
Cleaning your DE filter does not affect how the pump operates. So we need to investigate the controls to the pump. did a wire get unplugged that controls the pump?

Please tell us the mfg. and model of both pump and filter and also post a picture of the equipment pad showing the pump and filter.

Specify how long ago did you clean the DE filter and confirm that all was working per program prior to cleaning the DE filter.

Goooooooooooood morning, Thanks a quick response. There is no automation that I know off except the timer for the pump to turn and off. I did not unplug and wiring during DE filter clean.
Hayward 1.85 THP VSP, Hayward 6020 DE Filter
It took me 1 hours to clean the filter and everything was working normal before.
The pump does comes on at the timer interval setting but off after 20 min and I can turn it back on immediately with no hesitation. I ruled the overheating out since I can touch the pump during operation.
I have a Goldline Pro Logic Controller with wireless remote control.

Attachments

• 3B75E37A-D846-4B51-84CC-9F0524A43D7E.jpeg
    3B75E37A-D846-4B51-84CC-9F0524A43D7E.jpeg
    461.2 KB · Views: 8
  • C99F7403-5ED8-477F-951A-8ACEA373A869.jpeg
    C99F7403-5ED8-477F-951A-8ACEA373A869.jpeg
    642.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 9D224947-3144-4B8F-A721-BF15BC55238B.jpeg
    9D224947-3144-4B8F-A721-BF15BC55238B.jpeg
    655.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 2E826B48-3954-4BD9-B452-44D2CAA253E7.jpeg
    2E826B48-3954-4BD9-B452-44D2CAA253E7.jpeg
    483.3 KB · Views: 6
Just wondering - when the pump turns on - what is the filter pressure? It is normal for your set up? Is there flow coming out of the pool returns? Just want to ensure nothing is blocked. Also, It could be a capacitor that is ready to fail and just coincidence that it happened after you cleaned your filter.

I am not familiar with Hayward Controller, but on my system, there is a feature called DEVICE RUN TIME - you can set a duration time for pump, cleaner, etc. Could that have accidentally got set If you have that on your system? Also, you may wish to unplug the control wire at the pump and replug it in to reset. Can also turn off all power to the whole controller for several minutes then turn back up and let it all reboot.

It just seems that a connection got loose or similar. There are no electrical connections to the filter. Or the motor capacitor is failing.

Thank You, when the pump turns on, I get 22 PSI and water just shoot out of the return lines since the VSP run at 100% for about 2 min then decrease to my set 70% Then I get 12 PSI. I don’t think I have a Device Run Time.. but start and stop timer. I am just baffled by this exactly 20 Min. I think it is electronic…. I am trying to eliminate all possibilities.

Thank You, when the pump turns on, I get 22 PSI and water just shoot out of the return lines since the VSP run at 100% for about 2 min then decrease to my set 70% Then I get 12 PSI. I don’t think I have a Device Run Time.. but start and stop timer. I am just baffled by this exactly 20 Min. I think it is electronic…. I am trying to eliminate all possibilities.
I would power off the entire system for several mins (at the breaker) then let it restart and reboot everything. Then see if the 20 min cycle continues.

If you disconnect the cable from the pump to the automation - the pump then should be able to be programmed using its touchscreen on the pump. If you indicate what model of pump then we can be more specific to operating manual.

Good to hear, the Hayward VSP pump I have do not have a touch screen on the pump. Please see the model of the pump pictures above. I have added a picture of the pump
This is just the motor. We need the VS pump model such as TriStar VS or Super Pump VS, etc.
Do you have a wire from the pump to the automation for control? Not the electrical wire but a communication cable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Goooood morning it is TriStar VS. I have finally found the culprits a bad Flow Switch that make it shut down at 20 and I think it is a preset in the control board. I stuck a piece of aluminum foil inside the plug on the control board to trick the computer that the switch is closed. Now the pump does not shut down and the Cell start chlorinating. New Flow Switch will be here this afternoon. Thanks for all your assistance. The site Rock!

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.