Pump Speed For Backwashing Sand Filter

Aug 16, 2020
Olympia Washington
I'm running my two speed Hayward 1.5hp pump on low speed 24/7. About every two to three weeks, despite no visible rise in the roughly 5psi filter pressure drop reading, the flow falls off to effectively nothing. If I then put the pump on high speed, I get good flow again. Once I backwash the filter it's good on low speed for another 2-3 weeks. Does this seem normal?

Also, should I be backwashing my sand filter with the pump on low or high speed? On high speed I see sand in the sight glass and the sight glass leaks a little bit. I also get a little bit of sand out the discharge pipe. Which makes me wonder if I should be just using low speed for backflush.

You should always backwash on high speed. Also, when determining when to clean a filter, use the high speed filter pressure and clean the filter after a rise of 25%. Low speed filter pressure is not very accurate.

What size is your pool and what size is your filter?

A signature would be helpful:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.