Pump speed and SWG production

TBurres

May 14, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Trying to get my pump and SWG settings and schedules dialed in and I have a couple questions about relationships between pump speeds and SWG operation. I don’t see any mention of either of these issues in the SWG manual.

1 - Does the SWG produce more/less chlorine at different pump speeds?
2 - At pump speeds below ~2300 rpm the SWG cell housings are not completely filled with water and portion of the cell is exposed in the bubble. Does this matter or affect chlorine production?

1. No. As long as the SWG detects flow, it will produce the same amount of chlorine per unit of time. It doesn't know 'how much' flow, just that water is moving.

2. That sounds like a different issue entirely. There shouldn't be air in the system that I can think of... That said, based on my recollection of high school chemistry, the plates have a voltage across them, and the water is what causes the electrolysis to happen. It being out of the water shouldn't do any harm, but the output would just be reduced by the % of cell surface area that isn't underwater.

Hopefully others will be along shortly to answer #2 better than I could :)

Trying to get my pump and SWG settings and schedules dialed in and I have a couple questions about relationships between pump speeds and SWG operation. I don’t see any mention of either of these issues in the SWG manual.

2 - At pump speeds below ~2300 rpm the SWG cell housings are not completely filled with water and portion of the cell is exposed in the bubble. Does this matter or affect chlorine production?
For #2 I’d be concerned about hydrogen buildup in the cell (BOOM!).

For 1 I found that with my old single speed pump I barely produced any chlorine, unless the bypass around the SWG cell was almost entirely open. After I changed to a variable speed pump, that I run at 1000 rpm, I consistently produce chlorine even with the bypass closed.

I spoke with the manufacturer of my SWG, and they confirmed that if the flow rate was too high, the SWG might not work optimally.

Reactions: TBurres
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.