bkrepfle

Jul 15, 2020
Talleyville, DE
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all, I decided yo change the sand in my filter this year and cant help to think i messed something up. Within 24 hours of running, i would say flow output drops off to less than 25%.

I have an Intex 2100GPH pump and sand filter. If I cycle to backwash/rinse/filter it seems to work fine but in less than 24 hrs I'll find myself in the same place again. I've never experienced this behavior with this pump/filter combo yet so wanted tk see if anyone else ever experienced this before when changing sand?

If I cycle to backwash/rinse/filter it seems to work fine but in less than 24 hrs I'll find myself in the same place again.
This sounds suspiciously enough like algae clogging your filter. Can you post a full set of water test results?

Hey, thanks. So, I did come across this previous thread, and I think I may have actually over-filled sand in the filter:

Intex Sand Filter/Pump Slowly loses flow

With that said, here's my lastest readings. By the way, took the cover off this year, water was green. I've been slamming since Monday, also gave an algecide treatment, now I have a bunch of dead algae in the bottom of the pool that I need to get filtered out, so you may be right. I'm also finalizing PH/TA balance at the moment.

FAC: 10.2
CC: < .2
PH: 7.0
TA: 120
CH: 140
CYA: 50

Since you confirmed algae, be sure to follow the SLAM Process. Algaecides won't kill/remove algae. The SLAM Process works. Based on your current CYA, you need to increase and maintain an FC level of 20 per the FC/CYA Levels. Follow that SLAM page and you can't go wrong.

So, I think I may have had an issue with the way the head was installed on the filter, I'm not really sure how, and I guess time will tell if pump continues to act up or not.

Yes, I was hoping to be done slam, but I don't think I'm there. After algecide treatment, I've got what looks like clear snot floating all over in the pool. Hopefully I fixed the pump issue, and I can get this garbage filtered out. Will proceed with SLAM.

Thanks!

so, I did some more work and I think I figured out what was happening. The Inlet attachment for the intex vacuum has a built-in screen in it, and I think my filter was throwing sand through the return line. I think this sand was getting stuck in the screen, driving up pressure and lessening flow. This was likely a result of changing over to new sand this season, as I haven't had this problem before.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.