Pump sizing and variable vs two speed decision

MNiels

Bronze Supporter
Our motor just died and we felt it would be a good opportunity to upgrade. We've gone through the calculations for feet of head and are more confused than ever. We currently have a 23,100 gallon pool with a Pentair Pinnacle pump and 1.5 hp AO Smith Centurion motor (dead) which runs (ran) at 3450 rpm. Is there a simple way to estimate what size variable or two stage pump would work for our situation? We have about a 75' run of plumbing to both the main drain and the skimmer. An online customer service person at a very reputable online company told us that we needed a 3 hp variable speed pump. Also, with no water features, heater, fountain, etc., would we benefit from a variable speed over a two speed pump, or even another single speed, pump? Thanks all!

From an electrical usage standpoint the VS or 2 speed will be the least. As long as you can run the 2 speed on low most of the time there will be a significant $$ savings on electricity. The 2 speed is much less upfront cost than the VS. And you most likely only need the motor, not the wet end.

Call INYOpools and ask them what 2 speed motor would match your wet end.

Take care.

With your setup, the "size" of the pump does not need to be very big. In fact, the smaller the better for a two speed. For VS, you can go with any pump you want. A VS will save a little more in energy costs over a two speed but costs more upfront. If your power company gives rebates for VS pumps, that can tilt in the favor of a VS.

I just went through this with my failing motor. I would suggest you download the pump spreadsheet from mas985's signature.

You can compare different pumps on your pool and electrical usage / cost based on runtime and speed. You can also enter the purchase price and see how long the payback will be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.