Pump shuts off

May 23, 2014
maryland
I picked up a used (not old) pump motor today to replace a seized up one. Was told that it works, but when I start it, it runs normal then shuts down a few seconds later. Will restart after a couple minutes. Seems to run normal when running. There's an audible click when it shuts off. I'm concerned its overheat protection, but it doesn't feel warm at all.
3\4 hp pump

Attachments

• PXL_20210521_101553805.jpg
    PXL_20210521_101553805.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 25
Your signature says you have a 1.5hp Hayward pump. The motor is 3/4HP. You are probably overloading the motor with the pump having a 1.5HP impeller. The motor is mismatched to the pump.

Change the motor or change the impeller.

Your signature says you have a 1.5hp Hayward pump. The motor is 3/4HP. You are probably overloading the motor with the pump having a 1.5HP impeller. The motor is mismatched to the pump.

Change the motor or change the impeller.
I thought that, but my last pump was actually a 2 speed. It ran at 0.5 or 1.5 hp, so I assumed that it could handle it. If that not correct?

I thought that, but my last pump was actually a 2 speed. It ran at 0.5 or 1.5 hp, so I assumed that it could handle it. If that not correct
You're running at full speed, so you need the higher hp.

The lower hp only applies if you are running at low speed.

Do you have a picture of the original motor label?

What is the supply voltage?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ao-smith-century-pool-spa-motor-page55.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.