Kathe

Jun 1, 2015
Saline, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm trying to figure out if I need a new pump or it's something else.

We have a two speed (high and low) pump. Normally, I just run it 24/7 on low. Several times a day it just shuts off on low. If I turn it to high, it works. If it turns off while on high, it doesn't work on low either. Eventually, it will turn back on...sometimes after 15 minutes or up to an hour later. This happens more frequently when it is really hot outside, but it can happen in cooler weather also. Is it the pump over-heating? Is it a wiring problem? Only once has it actually tripped the circuit breaker. This has been going on for the last few years.

We took the pump in to someone after closing the pool last year and he couldn't find anything wrong with the pump. It's 5 years old and for the first two years it didn't do this. Has anyone else experienced this?

Most pumps have a thermal overload switch that is designed to turn off the pump if/when it overheats. It sounds as if this is what may be happening, particularly since it is more likely to happen in hotter weather. It could be that the pump is overheating or it could be that the thermal switch in the pump is failing. Next time it happens, carefully check the housing to see how hot it is.

Is your pressure at the filter normal? The fact that is it more likely to happen on low suggests that something is stressing the pump, but at the higher speed, it can more easily overcome it.

It is certainly possible that the pump is simply failing, but that doesn't mean it can't be serviced.

It's also possible that it could be the circuit itself. If the pump is starving for voltage, it will draw more current and thus dissipate more heat.

Are you using an extension chord to get power to the pump? If so, how long and what gauge of wire?

Most pumps have a thermal overload switch that is designed to turn off the pump if/when it overheats. It sounds as if this is what may be happening, particularly since it is more likely to happen in hotter weather. It could be that the pump is overheating or it could be that the thermal switch in the pump is failing. Next time it happens, carefully check the housing to see how hot it is.

Is your pressure at the filter normal? The fact that is it more likely to happen on low suggests that something is stressing the pump, but at the higher speed, it can more easily overcome it.

It is certainly possible that the pump is simply failing, but that doesn't mean it can't be serviced.

It's also possible that it could be the circuit itself. If the pump is starving for voltage, it will draw more current and thus dissipate more heat.

Are you using an extension chord to get power to the pump? If so, how long and what gauge of wire?

No extension cord used. We have two filters that we clean and alternate. We watch the pressures. The pump does get hot to the touch, but it is in the sun and I had heard that was normal with usage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.