Pump schedule and heater question

subzero123

Apr 17, 2024
Louisville, KY
I am brand new to pools and this forum. Thanks for having me. I have a brand new fiberglass 17k gallon salt water gas heated pool with sand filter. All equipment is Hayward. It's an illusion 40 pool. I am still playing around with the schedules and wanted some input if possible. We only plan to really use this pool friday to sunday as my wife and I work a lot during the week. My goal is to have the pool be warm enough to swim on the weekend, and to save as much energy as possible during the week. I was even considering running the pump lower than 33%, but if I let it get below that I get a low flow error on the app. I have found that 33% is still high enough to keep me out of errors. So my goal is for the pump to kick up to 85% on Fridays, and the heater to kick to 87 degrees and for these both to stay there till sunday at midnight. Does this seem reasonable? Any input is appreciated!

IMG_0975.PNGIMG_0974.PNG

Welcome to TFP.

You will learn how long it takes your pool to heat in different weather conditions.

Set and forget it will not be the most energy efficient way. Either you will have a cold spell during the week and the pool not get to the desired temperature for the weekend. Or in a warm spell the system heats the pool earlier than necessary. And then you have the weekends when it is cold and wet or you are away and don’t need to have the pool heated at all.

For maximum energy efficiency you need to look at the weather forecast for the coming week and adjust the system. AI to do that has not yet come to pool control systems.

Welcome to TFP.

You will learn how long it takes your pool to heat in different weather conditions.

Set and forget it will not be the most energy efficient way. Either you will have a cold spell during the week and the pool not get to the desired temperature for the weekend. Or in a warm spell the system heats the pool earlier than necessary. And then you have the weekends when it is cold and wet or you are away and don’t need to have the pool heated at all.

For maximum energy efficiency you need to look at the weather forecast for the coming week and adjust the system. AI to do that has not yet come to pool control systems.
I see thank you. What do you think about the filter schedule at least? Also, is it normal to get a low flow error on the app when below 30%? Ive backwashed my filter and the pressures are low on it so I dont think thats the issue

I see thank you. What do you think about the filter schedule at least? Also, is it normal to get a low flow error on the app when below 30%? Ive backwashed my filter and the pressures are low on it so I dont think thats the issue
Depends on the equipment in your pool.

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

Then post pics of your equipment pad.

Here is my equipment

Attachments

• IMG_0994 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0994 Large.jpeg
    462.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0995 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0995 Large.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0996 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0996 Large.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0997 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0997 Large.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0999 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0999 Large.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1001 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1001 Large.jpeg
    372.4 KB · Views: 4
It is better to think of pump speed in RPM then %.

Maximum RPM is 3450. So 30% is around 1100 RPM. That does not push much water,

The sweet spot for pool flow is usually between 1500 to 2400 RPM. Some folks can run their system down to 1200 RPM if they don't have a heater. In % that is about 45% to 60%.

Your heater needs at least 30 to 40 GPM of flow. You need to be running your pump at 50% or higher whenever the heater may be running.

I would raise your 33% a bit and lower your 85% to 60%.

It is better to think of pump speed in RPM then %.

Maximum RPM is 3450. So 30% is around 1100 RPM. That does not push much water,

The sweet spot for pool flow is usually between 1500 to 2400 RPM. Some folks can run their system down to 1200 RPM if they don't have a heater. In % that is about 45% to 60%.

Your heater needs at least 30 to 40 GPM of flow. You need to be running your pump at 50% or higher whenever the heater may be running.

I would raise your 33% a bit and lower your 85% to 60%.
Thank you!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support