Pump Replacement

Jun 30, 2013
Plano, TX
Hello All - My primary pump started to make a high-pitched noise a couple of days ago so I think it's on its last legs. It's 8 years old, and is making the noise whenever it is running. The pump is a Hayward Tristar Power End 2HP 2-Speed, model #SPX3215X20Z2PE. I'm considering doing this myself - I have not replaced this primary pump via DIY, but I have DIY-replaced a smaller pump that runs the waterfall and the booster pump. I'm also not sure if I should just get the same pump or upgrade to another pump - for example I've seen some other threads suggesting pumps like the Intelliflo 11056, but am not sure if an upgrage the right way to go. The current pump has done its job well and the Intelliflo pumps appear to be ~$1,000 more expensive than the Hayward model that I have now. I'd appreciate any guidance on the following - Thanks!
Should I upgrade or stick with a replacement using the same model? Pros and cons would be helpful here.
Are there any issues that I should be aware of if I try to DIY this pump, as compared to having replaced a smaller pump and booster pump?
Would it make sense for me to replace the motor in the current pump rather than installing a completely new pump?

Hello All - My primary pump started to make a high-pitched noise a couple of days ago so I think it's on its last legs. It's 8 years old, and is making the noise whenever it is running. The pump is a Hayward Tristar Power End 2HP 2-Speed, model #SPX3215X20Z2PE. I'm considering doing this myself - I have not replaced this primary pump via DIY, but I have DIY-replaced a smaller pump that runs the waterfall and the booster pump. I'm also not sure if I should just get the same pump or upgrade to another pump - for example I've seen some other threads suggesting pumps like the Intelliflo 11056, but am not sure if an upgrage the right way to go. The current pump has done its job well and the Intelliflo pumps appear to be ~$1,000 more expensive than the Hayward model that I have now. I'd appreciate any guidance on the following - Thanks!
Should I upgrade or stick with a replacement using the same model? Pros and cons would be helpful here.
Are there any issues that I should be aware of if I try to DIY this pump, as compared to having replaced a smaller pump and booster pump?
Would it make sense for me to replace the motor in the current pump rather than installing a completely new pump?
A Hayward TriStar VSP would be an easy replacement for what you have, no re-plumb needed.
Two-speed pumps are no longer DOE compliant and when they are gone they won't be back. A replacement 2-speed motor is still available for about $400.00 (shaft seal and O rings should be replaced at the same time) and that complete power end (just bolt on and hook up the power) is still available at a reasonable price at Pool Supply Unlimited..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.