Pump Replacement

Feb 6, 2018
Conroe TX area
Hello,
I have a 2 hp ao smith centurion pump and would like to replace with vs as it currently uses about $100 worth of electricity every month. How do I go about doing this? I don't want the warranty cut short by purchasing it online, but would rather not have a pool store do it, seems expensive. Thanks.

I did it myself with some will and Youtube vids, same really as a single speed. I’ve replaced a couple single speeds, and was a sceptic on VS for awhile. I personally didn’t focus much about self-install warranty. Pumps will likely fail within a few weeks or months if genuinely defective. My current VS pump was actually purchased on Amazon through their warehouse deals. These are items that are ‘gently if not really used’ returns and honestly I’ve never had an issue with anything I’ve bought this way. It cost me (edit))$576.84! Retail it was $799.99.

Do you have automation?

I chose the Hayward Tristar VS that handles a 2hp need, but Pentair’s units are also recommended here. You’ll immediately notice a drop in electric bill, if you’re tuning it properly to your pools needs, and also the drop in noise is amazing (my neighbor is so grateful).

I received a rebate from my electric utility company. (Edit) It was a $200 rebate with So Cal Edison. Definitely check into that to help lower your cost, or that amount it may cover the pro install cost!

Here’s some info in the link sorted by available state rebate programs including Entergy:
https://www.inyopools.com/Blog/variable-speed-pool-pump-rebate-center/

Inyo Pools has a line of VS pumps with a good warranty on DIY install.

Or some have purchased Pentair VS 011018 on Amazon and purchased the extended warranty.

Hello,
I have a 2 hp ao smith centurion pump and would like to replace with vs as it currently uses about $100 worth of electricity every month. How do I go about doing this? I don't want the warranty cut short by purchasing it online, but would rather not have a pool store do it, seems expensive. Thanks.
How long are you running the pump each day? In TX, even a single speed should not cost that much unless you are running 24/7. You can significantly reduce your power bill simply by having much shorter run times. Most pools need less than 4 hrs per day of run time.

If you think 12 cents a kWh is expensive, don't move. Many places are far higher than that --------

I was running it for 8 hrs a day in the summer. I have reduced it to 5 as of now. Electricity is super expensive here ($0.12/kWh) because of Entergy (they are an investor-owned utility).
I pay $.40/kwh in the tier 4. So no sympathy there.

So even if the pump is a full rated 2 HP, it would use about 2.5kw of energy so 8 hours per day for 30 days would be $72/month. But even 5 hours per day is probably much more than you need especially for this time of year.

Another very cheap option is to downsize the the impeller. It is fairly easy to do and can reduce energy use considerably.

Yikes. They raised our electrical 2.5% and it’s punishing at upper tiers-though we stay within tier 2 thru fall-winter-spring thanks largely to VS pump and new HVAC. It’s $0.18 to 0.25, and if we run our Evap cooler we can stay in T1.

Solar panels are now on every other house on our block, and we have some parapet walls that hide them well from street view so it’s an inviting option. It’s hard to see where that’s gonna go in even just 10 years. I remember when ‘solar panels’ were just pool water being pumped thru rolled-out ribbed black panels in the ‘80s. Some remnants of those on many roofs out here. Great option, but they cook on our 185 degree summer reflective heat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.