Pump replacement - Time to improve - Pump high above pool

Re: Pump replacement - Time to improve - Pump high above poo

But it is difficult to determine what your actual flow rate will be with any pump because estimating the head loss is not trivial.

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Plumbing pictures - Don't laugh... this is what I was left with. (The nature 2 isn't used don't worry, it's just keeping the hole plugged from the previous owners misguidance. That plumbing will be replaced someday or when it leaks.

IMG_20130507_111818_133_zps3f80c9ee.jpg

IMG_20130507_111348_878_zpsa3116fcb.jpg

IMG_20130507_111306_649_zps49dae70f.jpg

IMG_20130507_111258_737_zps35d57d54.jpg

That is quite the return manifold ... are they just 4 separate lines to jets? Because it does not look like there are any valves on them to make adjustments.

Well yes it's just 4 lines.. no valves.. the flow is what it is.. right or wrong. There are technically 4 return jets in the pool (2 in stairs, one other in shallow end, one in deep end). However somehow there are 2 other features tapped in underground. A slide on one side and a small waterfall scupper thing on the other. The plumbing for each extra feature doesn't seem to track with the side though. There's an inline valve on the pool deck level (one in and one out 2" interestingly) that appears to shut off the flow to the shallow end jet AND the deep end jet leaving nothing but the stairs and the slide working.. but the slide and steps turn into a raging hot tub and water park slide when closed.

I'm sure there were a few hold my beer and watch this moments while the plumbing was being completed on this pool :)

I just installed a pentair variable speed pump and I love it. Yes, it is overkill for my 12K pool, but I love how adjustable it is, built in timer and I just set it at a maximum of 2450 rpms since I have 1-1/2" pipes underground and 2" on the pad. I can run it 24 hours on a very low speed and I guess the slow flow gives the filter more time to work because the water has never looked better. If you really want to save energy it is much better than a 2 speed. It is really, really quiet.

Here is a good article on 2speed vs. variable speed pumps and energy savings.
http://www.cbpools.net/thetruthabout2speedpumps.pdf

Hard to believe the propaganda in the PDF being that it was written by Pentair who would love to sell you the expensive VS pump.

If you have cheap electricity, you may NEVER recoup the extra initial cost of the VS over a 2-speed with the marginal additional amount of money you save on electricity.

Sure the VS are nice and flexible, but they do not make sense in a lot of cases where power is cheap and a bunch of different flow rates are not needed.

They should have called the paper "The Half Truths About Two Speed Pumps". Pretty good marketing spin though.

One thing they fail to do in the paper is to compare the economics of a two speed pump directly with a VS pump. The reason they don't make that comparison is that it takes much longer for a VS to pay for itself than it does for a two speed pump because of the initial cost difference.

The other thing they don't tell you is that it costs more to repair a failed drive than it does to buy an entirely new pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Put a union in front and above the pump if the pump does not attach with a union fitting.

Not sure what else you were considering.

If you want to make priming a little easier, you could put a check valve (use at least 2") on the suction side of the pump. That way you wouldn't need to use your three way valve manually.

That distance looks fine to me, probably more than I have. I think that is more critical for "larger" pumps on "smaller" pipes.

Yes you can hook the 2" pipe directly to the Superflo union.

Quick dumb question can't find clear answer. Do the union fittings come with the superflo? Or did I need to order separately? Don't want an oh shoot moment when it shows up and I'm ready to go. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.