Pump replacement recommendation

CardsFan

Jun 6, 2020
Kentucky
I am new to this forum and are in need of guidance. I have a approximately 1994/1995 Sta-Rite DuraGlas pump Model #P2RA5D-120L with a Cerntury/AO Smith B2852 3/4hp. The motor needs to be replaced and am considering a whole new pump. The filter is a Posi-FloII model # PTM100. Iam looking at the Pentair 340037 SuperFlo High Performance Single Speed Pool Pump, 3/4 Horsepower, 115/230 Volt, 1 Phase

Would it be a correct replacement without any modifications? Or would you recommend another brand/model? What are the benefits of a two speed or variable speed? Would they require additional parts/modifications or would they be "plug and play"? Please be specific in your brand/model or modification recommendations as we are not very knowledgeable .

Thank you for your help and guidance!

I like the two speed. I run the low speed with a whisperflo almost 24 hours and try to limit the high speed. This ends up being quite economical. Variable speed is great but expensive and I think you’ll find you do full blast and some other lower setting for runs. You also need to maybe upgrade the pump timer. I got a digital internic one and it works great. The pentair whisperflo on low is quiet and almost not noticeable. Make sure it’s right sized though. If you can’t get enough power on the low speed it’s not worth anything so some estimates on gpm and head and all that should be thought out.
I’d never go back to a single speed but I don’t regret not getting variable. If you are worried about the low speed not being enough variable is for you because you can adjust it. Two speed is great just make sure the low speed is strong enough or it’s worthless.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.