Pump recommendations

J0EEKldd

Jun 24, 2022
NY
I've been helping my parents with their 20x40ft (33-35k gallon) pool. It's an older pool(30+ years)-from the northeast and open a few months and doesn't get constant use. They have an older Hayward perflex D.E. filter/1HP pump setup(model not legible). The motor is shot and in need of a new one. Filter isn't far behind. A local pool store suggested a 1.5 Hayward SuperPump, though I cannot find a 1.5 model. Or is the Super II the new line?
1st question..being that it's an older pool(30+years)-would a 1.5HP one speed put too much pressure on the pipes? I will be purchasing a new Filter also
2nd If not is the Hayward SuperPump II a good recommendation?
Thanks so much for any help. Any other info I left out, please let me know.

A single-speed 1.5hp pump is no longer D.O.E. compliant and is, basically, an illegal pump in the US. Retailers are trying hard to get rid of old stock. A 1.5hp single-speed pump is too much pump, even if it were legal.
You really want to get a VSP and dial down the speed to allow for long filtration runs that keep the water clean and energy costs low.
A Hayward Super 2 is an excellent, but older, pump, about two generations of design old. If you can get one as a VSP, it would be good.
If you want to stay with Hayward, a good line, look for a Tri-Star VSP.

Last edited:
Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.