Pump recommendations

So you only cut one hole around the return/outflow? Not at all on the intakes/inflow? But I'm sure I've seen a bunch of videos where the intakes get cut, too.

Also I would like to install a plunger valve on at least one of the intakes. So maybe that's what's going on in the videos?

I have a utility knife -- but I'm ordering an Xacto knife just in case.

Last edited:
Utility knife is fine. That’s what we used.

Which valves came with your pump? Ours only came with the return valve.

We have two plungers. On the return side and one on the intake side. I only use one intake that is attached to my skimmer. The other one is capped. Maximizes Suction through the skimmer.

its not in English but here is a video of the guy cutting the pool

Last edited:
Reactions: chicagonyc
Hi everyone.

So I think it's time to replace the dinky 1000 GPH included pump for my 15x48 AGP. My pool is "a little" to "moderately" cloudy pretty much all the time. When we first got it, it was beautifully clear all the time; no longer. Here's what it looks like today (overhead shot):

View attachment 157361

After not changing the filter for the first three weeks of ownership, I am now changing the filter sometimes daily, sometimes every couple of days. I run the pump now 24x7.

I have a pool sock over one return; it turns dirty after a single day. When I brush the floor with a pool broom, you can see plumes of particulates. When I use my Intex portable vacuum I do capture a good amount of particulate, but I also see plumes coming out of the vacuum vents. So at least some of the particulates on the floor of the pool are being sent into the pool itself. Incidently, after coming home after a 3 day vacation, the pool was perfectly clear, but the floor of the pool was just filthy with dirt and debris.

It's possible the location of the pool is to blame; I place it below the shade of some really tall trees. The branches I can reach I cut down, but there's a lot more vertically. The nice thing is the shade, but I do get a fair amount of falling leaves and twigs and such (which I skim daily).

BTW I just got the TFT-100 test kit for more precision, but I've been using the Home Depot test kit pretty strictly, and I haven't really let FC levels drop below 5. CYA levels are around 50. I use the Home Depot HDX chlorinating liquid.

After reading a lot of posts, and watching a bunch of videos, I know I have to move to a sand filter pump (I'm looking at the Intex ones) but I still have a number of questions:
  • How necessary is the cutting of the vinyl liner to create 1.5" holes?
  • If I chose not to cut the liner, what adapters do I need to purchase in addition to the pump?
  • How big of a pump should I get? Is 2100 GPH enough, or do I need to go to 2800?
Most importantly,
  • Will the sand pump help me clarify my almost-never-clear pool?
Thank you!
Definitely upgrade to the Krystal Clear 16” sand filter and 3000 GPH pump!! It will make a HUGE difference! If you want crystal clear water though, it is all about having a good testing kit and keeping your water balanced. Do NOT use any clarifiers or anything the pool stores recommend. We will help you on this forum!! But yes, your pump is way undersized (like all of the pumps that come with these type of pools) and you won’t regret upgrading to a more powerful pump and a sand filter!

EDIT: I just noticed you said you have the TF-100, which is an awesome kit! Now time to SLAM SLAM SLAM!! After that is over, then it is upgrade time! 🙂 You might as well go for the 3000 GPH option. It is the most powerful Krystal Clear product that Intex offers and I love mine!

Last edited:
Here's a number of videos where it's not 100% clear WHICH hole to cut to 1.5 inches. Dadofthree said only 1 hole is to be cut (flow of water into the pool, away from the pump). But I've seen a number of videos where the two outflow (to the pump, away from the pool) holes are cut, too!

Maybe I'm being pedantic but I really want to be clear before cutting.

Danish video cuts 1 hole -- which one?
Video by YellowDogsWorld cuts all 3 holes
Video by Morton Werk cuts 1 hole -- which one?
Video by PK cuts 2 holes -- which ones?

ps Something that always bothered me: which is the outflow and which is the inflow? It depends if "in" refers to the pump or the pool? I think the standard use is "intake" refers to the hole leading to the pump, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
I think some pumps came with more the one valve.
My pump only came with a return valve. (Water back to pool)

mine did not come with the intake valve but some older ones have.

Can you attach a photo of the valves received with your pump?

I did 2 returns and 1 suction side and skimmer, works great... I also used a soldering iron to cut the holes out and that also worked great :)

They are high temp unions and there are different ones, My type pump uses a 1.5 inch thread and 2 inch union like this

these are great unions, when you screw them on make sure the go all the way to the rubber O-ring to make a good seal :) Also, the 1.5 inch to 2 inch can be used on skimmers, and through wall connections like I did :)

Here's what I got. I think I have the same one as you. Only one return (outflow?) fitting.

intex sand filter fittings (Small).jpg

I think you're right, there might be generational differences in the pumps. I have also seen plunger valves in the videos which seem useful (for example, to increase the flow rate into the external skimmer).

What else is happening are modifications to the pool which go beyond what's in the box. For example, I saw in a bunch of videos plunger valves, so I I bought these from Amazon. But will I be able to install them with what I have here?

Big picture though, what's confusing me is the following: I thought 1.5" fittings allow the sand filter pump run at full power (the video by YellowDog explicitly talks about how he wants 1.5" everywhere for more power to eg run a vacuum). But how can that be true if only 1 of the 3 holes in the pull is adjusted to 1.5" in the standard pump package?

I think some pumps came with more the one valve.
My pump only came with a return valve. (Water back to pool)

mine did not come with the intake valve but some older ones have.

Can you attach a photo of the valves received with your pump?

Dadofthree74, would you mind taking close up shots of all the fittings and your pump setup? It seems like that would be very helpful :)

I admire you but I don't think I have the ability to do these hard core mods!

I did 2 returns and 1 suction side and skimmer, works great... I also used a soldering iron to cut the holes out and that also worked great :)

They are high temp unions and there are different ones, My type pump uses a 1.5 inch thread and 2 inch union like this

these are great unions, when you screw them on make sure the go all the way to the rubber O-ring to make a good seal :) Also, the 1.5 inch to 2 inch can be used on skimmers, and through wall connections like I did :)

Here is what the first two pages of the manual say. I think this might be the source of some confusion. They are instructions to construct optional parts on the inlets and outlets. But what's optional about the outlet? I thought it necessitated a 1.5" outflow vinyl cut?

optional inlet instructions (Small).jpg

optional outlet instructions (Small).jpg

You have what I got with our pump.

You can use the plunger valves, but it works without it. I find the plunger valves to be helpful.
Here is our return.
7D0AE6AA-0B78-425E-8D9D-AC07681FE642.jpeg

here is one intake.
Outside pool and inside pool.
9D0853A5-B5DA-4D0A-9937-B5086E5208A5.jpeg514FA412-AB85-40B3-9887-7B675302A08F.jpegDCBDD9A2-C572-4CE0-80DF-D51F359FBA5E.jpeg

here is my other intake attached to my skimmer and pump.

6DB17B5F-D8BF-4B86-998F-0A5C1AC6F9E0.jpeg53ABF64A-6660-4B3D-8953-DB48BBAC72BE.jpeg
I capped one intake to increase the suction via skimmer. Pump pressure stays in green.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now we're talking! These pictures rock.

Your plunger valves attach to both the 1.5" outflow and one 1.25" inflow? Also, what do you use the plunger valves for? I was thinking to be able to sometimes increase the suction to the skimmer, but you're using a stopper for that purpose.

You have what I got with our pump.

You can use the plunger valves, but it works without it. I find the plunger valves to be helpful.
Here is our return.
View attachment 158877

here is one intake.
Outside pool and inside pool.
View attachment 158878View attachment 158879View attachment 158880

here is my other intake attached to my skimmer and pump.

View attachment 158882View attachment 158881
I capped one intake to increase the suction via skimmer. Pump pressure stays in green.

After opening the box and seeing what was inside, it looks like there is a critical missing piece -- the T intersection between the 1.25 hoses coming off the twin outlets. Right now the T-intersection connects a 1.25" hose that used to go to the cartridge pump to the two 1.25" hoses from the outlets. But for the sand filter pump, I need to connect a 1.5" hose to those 1.25" hoses. Gonna look on Amazon for it though.

Any other items I should think about buying? I already got the plunger valves coming tomorrow.

I guess it depends on if you are going to run 1.25 in hose or 1.5 in hose.

Your flow will be limited with the 1.25 hose and t junction.
If you are going to stick with the t junction and 1.25 hose I think you need these.
image.jpg Intex part 25007

this will let you connect the 1.25 in hose to the pump. And connect the 1.25 in hose to the bottom of the plunger.

Oh, I definitely want to run whatever hose that maximizes flow -- this is the whole point of getting this pump!

I only got two longish 1.5" hoses in the sand filter package (as per my picture above). I was thinking to use 1 of them to return water to the pool, cutting a 1.5" hole in the vinyl, and a 2nd from the pump to a t-junction of some sort. I had thought to follow your example and cut only one hole.

Are you saying I should get two more 1.5" hoses for the twin outlets from the pool to the pump?

Right now, I have 2 plunger valves and 2 intex B adapters on the way to help me do whatever I need to do.

I guess it depends on if you are going to run 1.25 in hose or 1.5 in hose.

Your flow will be limited with the 1.25 hose and t junction.
If you are going to stick with the t junction and 1.25 hose I think you need these.
View attachment 158899 Intex part 25007

this will let you connect the 1.25 in hose to the pump. And connect the 1.25 in hose to the bottom of the plunger.

Here's my current setup, showing the OEM inlets, twin 1.25" hoses, meeting at a T valve where they convert to 1.5" hose to the pump. That's currently disconnected as I have the skimmer now as (currently) the only inlet to the pump, with a 1.5" hose.
full

The 1.25" hoses use hose clamps and the 1.5" hoses are twist-on with a gasket. Is that what you would need?

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Oh yeah, that's so helpful and illustrative! So you're using some sort of double plunger valve as the T junction. Something like this on Amazon? I assume it takes 2 1.25" hoses and converts to a single 1.5" outflow? So is this the reason for not needing to cut 1.5" holes around the twin water outlets (from the pool to the pump)? 2 1.25" holes is enough to feed a single 1.5" hose? And on the other side of the coin, you NEED to cut a hole around the inflow into the pool because it's only one hose and 1.5" is a meaningful increase in size and flow.

I don't have that in-wall skimmer but maybe next year ...

Here's my current setup, showing the OEM inlets, twin 1.25" hoses, meeting at a T valve where they convert to 1.5" hose to the pump. That's currently disconnected as I have the skimmer now as (currently) the only inlet to the pump, with a 1.5" hose.

The 1.25" hoses use hose clamps and the 1.5" hoses are twist-on with a gasket. Is that what you would need?

Now I understand. But you did that only because the double plunger wasn't available then, right?

So to summarize, you are doing the following: 1.25" to 1.5" adapter -> plunger valve -> 1.5" hose -> pump.

I guess you could have also cut a 1.5" hole in the liner and avoided using the adapter there, in order to increase the flow with a single line?

You could do the double plunger. It was not available at the start of covid when we put in the pool.
So I did this instead. Ran 1 hose from intake to pump. This valve is the oem valve

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.