Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hello,

Looking for pump recommendations to run a waterfall on a faux-stone grotto we're installing. The manufacture states it needs 6000GPH flow rate, which seems like I'd need somewhere around a 2HP pump. This seems like a massive pump to me, but it does have to go up around 6ft from the pool deck (and another couple feet underground, plus 50ft horizontally to the equipment pad).

Any recommendations that aren't going to break the bank? Our primary pump will be a Jandy FloPro VS 1.65, but I don't think we really need an expensive VS pump for this, we can control the flow to a certain degree with a valve before the pump inlet as far as I'm aware.

Thanks

How about the Jandy WFTR120? Says medium head but pricing seems reasonable and I already have all jandy equipment. If I calculated head properly, I should have around 25ft in 2" pipe. (around 100ft total run, 7 90deg elbows, 2ft up from strainer inlet to pump, 8ft up from return to top of waterfall)

Moves more water while using about half the electricity. They’re very quiet too
That's a good point. What about the Jandy WFTR120 or SWF185? Do the above head calculations seem correct?

The SWF185 seems to run at a much lower RPM than the WFTR120, but flow is greatly reduced at 20-25 ft of head I calculated.

EDIT: The SWF185 also recommends 2.5-3" pipe, we're only running 2" (per manufacturer recommendations) to the grotto. Is that an issue or can we just get a coupler to reduce to 2"?

The pipe size is an issue then because of the friction loss it adds. A low head pump will be very restricted since it does not produce very much pressure and the 2" pipe is too restrictive. To use a low head pump, the suction should be 3" with a 2.5" return (minimum).

My suggestion is to use a VS pump for the water feature. I know its more expensive but it will eliminate the disappointment of not having the appropriate pressure/flow if the single speed pump is mis-sized and will allow you to fine tune the speed for your exact needs.

The pipe size is an issue then because of the friction loss it adds. A low head pump will be very restricted since it does not produce very much pressure and the 2" pipe is too restrictive. To use a low head pump, the suction should be 3" with a 2.5" return (minimum).

My suggestion is to use a VS pump for the water feature. I know its more expensive but it will eliminate the disappointment of not having the appropriate pressure/flow if the single speed pump is mis-sized and will allow you to fine tune the speed for your exact needs.
If I plumb a 3" suction from the skimmer, and a 3" return to the waterfall, and then add a reducer from 3" -> 2" as close to the waterfall as I can, that should reduce the friction resistance, yes?

For flow control, I had planned on putting a 3 way valve on the return, and splitting between the waterfall and a return jet.

I do like the idea of a second VS pump, was just trying to do this for under $1000 if possible. Any recommendations for lower-cost VS pumps that are not absolute garbage?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I plumb a 3" suction from the skimmer, and a 3" return to the waterfall, and then add a reducer from 3" -> 2" as close to the waterfall as I can, that should reduce the friction resistance, yes?

For flow control, I had planned on putting a 3 way valve on the return, and splitting between the waterfall and a return jet.

I do like the idea of a second VS pump, was just trying to do this for under $1000 if possible. Any recommendations for lower-cost VS pumps that are not absolute garbage?
Sorry, I didn't realize you were doing this with a single pump. You absolutely need a variable speed pump then. You not only have the head pressure from the plumbing but also the filter which will cause an even more significant flow reduction.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were doing this with a single pump. You absolutely need a variable speed pump then. You not only have the head pressure from the plumbing but also the filter which will cause an even more significant flow reduction.
Sorry, it's not a single pump. I'm running 2 pumps, one for pool duty, and one for the water feature. My skimmer has 2 returns out of the bottom that I had planned on tapping into for the water feature.

I have a few of them in the field and can vouch for each and every one of them. If there isn't a need to match the pump to a specific automation system then Calimar it is for me.
Question about that. Im installing an Aqualink RS automation system. I did order the separate "automation board" just in case I needed it, but really the pump will be running in 1 speed the whole time. I just want to be able to turn it on and off from iAquaLink. I assume this is doable with this pump, as it's just going to be connected to a power relay.

You don’t want to use the skimmer for a water feature suction since that would send dirt and debris to the waterfall. Dual wall ports are what you want with a large suction line.

If you don’t have a main drain or an equalizer line then plug the front hole in the bottom of the skimmer.

You don’t want to use the skimmer for a water feature suction since that would send dirt and debris to the waterfall. Dual wall ports are what you want with a large suction line.

If you don’t have a main drain or an equalizer line then plug the front hole in the bottom of the skimmer.

That makes a ton more sense, Thanks for the tip!

Question about that. Im installing an Aqualink RS automation system. I did order the separate "automation board" just in case I needed it, but really the pump will be running in 1 speed the whole time. I just want to be able to turn it on and off from iAquaLink. I assume this is doable with this pump, as it's just going to be connected to a power relay.
Correct. One of the HP relays can be a simple ON/OFF for the pump. Any changers in the speed will need to be done manually at the pump.

Correct. One of the HP relays can be a simple ON/OFF for the pump. Any changers in the speed will need to be done manually at the pump.
Is the automation board even needed of I go this route? I do not need to control the speed via automation. Just the ability to turn it on and off.

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.