Pump recommendation

May 27, 2018
Tampa, FL
Hi, my first post here. Love this forum, great info.
My pool motor is in the process of dying (2nd time, had it repaired once), making loud noises and often tripping breaker. Builder put in single speed 2hp for the spa and fountain, so figured I'd upgrade. Reading here, learned that despite what the folks with certain incentives at the pool store that pinches money said, with the electric costs of $.05 to $.07 per kw/hr, a 2 speed is likely a better choice than a VS. But given the lack of good recommendations from the local stores, looking for some more detailed advice.

I was using the spreadsheet (Pool Pump Tools v017.xlsb) but realized I don't know the "Total Plumbing Curve". Hoping the defaults are just fine, as it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference.

If I were to add solar to 2nd story roof, would I be better off with variable speed over dual speed so that I can adjust based on the needs of the solar?

Any other suggestions based on my pool configuration in my sig?

Thanks in advance.

A 2 speed 2 HP will work for what you are currently doing. The low speed most of the time and then use high speed for the SPA and maybe the Pool Cleaner.

Or - get a full VS pump (3HP) and then you can run at a low speed just enough to activate your SWCG most of the time, ramp up as needed for the cleaner, ramp up towards full speed for the SPA, and use the speed needed for the solar.

Depends on how 'fine tuned' you want to be.

Good luck.

I would prefer to have the adjustability of a VS pump for solar. I'm not sure that but would be enough on low speed for a 2nd story install. I think maybe now. I run my solar at 1950 rpm, which is more than half speed of my 3hp pump and it's a 1 story install.

You certainly have enough equipment where the multiple speed settings of a VS pump could be worth it over picking a 2-speed pump.

The big question is do you have any automation to control everything?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.