Sep 12, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi everyone,
Odd issue I've noticed the past few days. My pump will randomly stop and then either restart on its own a few minutes later or i need to switch it off and then back on. Picture of the pump switch controller below. Any thoughts on what could be causing this? Pool and equipment is only 1 year old. Thanks!
_zqZMaV6QlmBO-Oxi52mww.jpg

I think your problems are with your pump and not the mechanical timer.

What model pump are we discussing?

Show us pics of your pump and equipment pad.

Do you have a multimeter and do you know how to check voltage?

When the pump stops I would check the voltage at the LINE and LOAD screws of the timer.

I would make a warranty claim and see how it is handled. Tell them the problem started a few weeks ago.

I would make a warranty claim and see how it is handled. Tell them the problem started a few weeks ago.
Thanks Allen. I've been keeping an eye & ear on it today and it hasn't turned off on it's own. Any reason pumps would shut off apart from mechanical issues, such as impeded water flow? I've checked the pressure, which is fine, and there were no obstructions just a kids sticker from their sticker book ended up in the pump basket :D

Many pump motors have thermal protection and will shut themselves off until they cool down. The type of cycling you describe could be the motor thermal protection.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.