Pump ran without water for a few days help.

Jennif3r

Dec 12, 2021
Orange County, CA
Hi! Preface: I am a pool owner I don’t know much about schematics of how a pump works. I noticed yesterday my pump was on, but it didn’t look like the water was bubbling in the pool like it normally does when it’s on. I thought maybe it was due to how full the pool was. I meant to go check it, but forgot when I went to work. This morning when it turned on I went to go check the pump and I noticed it was on, but no water was coming through. I went and turned it off then went to remove the basket to check if anything was blocking it (nothing I could see). I turned it back on with the basket removed and after a little bit it started sucking the water through. It seems to be working fine now. But I’m not sure how many days it’s been on and not pulling any water in. Is it likely there is damage I can not see? I wasn't sure if I should keep running it after that happened. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Reactions: gary300
Welcome to TFP! :wave: True, pumps do not do well after running dry for an extended period of time. The heat can cause damage. But your signature is blank and we have no idea what type of equipment you have. So please update your signature and post a pic or two of your pump, equipment pad, and pool so we can help you out better.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: True, pumps do not do well after running dry for an extended period of time. The heat can cause damage. But your signature is blank and we have no idea what type of equipment you have. So please update your signature and post a pic or two of your pump, equipment pad, and pool so we can help you out better.
Thank you for the welcome! I updated my signature hopefully those are right :)

Thanks for the pics. That motor looks like it's seen a few better days. :) Amazing it's even running after being dry for as long as you described. When pumps run dry they can so hot that the plumbing connections melt, but I don't see any of that in your pics. That doesn't mean there was no ill effects of being dry, but nothing we can see.

At this point, I would do the following:
1. Make sure the pool's water level is high, about 1/2 - 3/4 up the skimmer opening.
2. Make sure the skimmer weir door (flap) is operating properly and not getting stuck closed.
3. Be sure any valve before the pump are fully open to allow water to flow "in".
4. Remove the pump clear lid and be sure the black O-ring underneath is clean and lubed well with pool silicone lube. Do not use petroleum jelly as that can damage the rubber.
5. Before closing the clear lid, fill that pump pot with water, then attach the lid, open any valves that may have been closed, and see if the pump holds prime (remains full of water).

If after all of that the pump runs dry again, you may have internal issues due to the pump's age. But let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the pics. That motor looks like it's seen a few better days. :) Amazing it's even running after being dry for as long as you described. When pumps run dry they can so hot that the plumbing connections melt, but I don't see any of that in your pics. That doesn't mean there was no ill effects of being dry, but nothing we can see.

At this point, I would do the following:
1. Make sure the pool's water level is high, about 1/2 - 3/4 up the skimmer opening.
2. Make sure the skimmer weir door (flap) is operating properly and not getting stuck closed.
3. Be sure any valve before the pump are fully open to allow water to flow "in".
4. Remove the pump clear lid and be sure the black O-ring underneath is clean and lubed well with pool silicone lube. Do not use petroleum jelly as that can damage the rubber.
5. Before closing the clear lid, fill that pump pot with water, then attach the lid, open any valves that may have been closed, and see if the pump holds prime (remains full of water).

If after all of that the pump runs dry again, you may have internal issues due to the pump's age. But let us know how it goes.
Haha it has definitely seen better days! This pool and it’s parts (and the house for that matte!) are so old, but somehow they both just keep pushing on ☺️ I will definitely try out your suggestions! I know a new pool pump is likely in my future, but as long as this one keeps chanting “I think I can” Im going to do what I can to help it 😂

Reactions: Texas Splash
Just an FYI, that is an old American Pool Products UltraFlo pump. The company was bought by PacFab, then Pentair, and the pump discontinued many (20?) years ago. If the pump had any water in it while it was running, the outlet plumbing, which already leaks, will be damaged even more as will the inlet. You can see a failed attempt to seal the outlet. It is really time to consider a new VS pump and get the plumbing repaired/replaced.

If the pump is not priming like it has in the past, most likely the pump seals are shot from running dry. If you can identify the make and model of the pump I would bet the seals can be replaced and it would work fine again. Look for a label and/or marking on the pump portion not just on the motor portion. I would suggest replacing all the seals and gaskets if possible (on most pumps the seal kits are fairly inexpensive ~$20 to ~$30).

I would also look at adding a couple of unions on the inlet and outlet to make servicing the pump easier. The outlet side looks easy to add. Can't see how the inlet side is plumbed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.