Pump ran for 2-3 hours but jets didn't jet - sucked air?!

VinylDelight

Aug 9, 2022
MS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So, I just noticed my pool pump was running from the sound, and the jets were not flowing. I quickly ran over and it definitely was on for a bit and warm but it did not have water running through it. I shut it off and checked the skimmers - the shallow end was empty but the basket was kind of floating, and the deep end was extremely leaf covered -- worst I have seen. The water was not below the skimmer line however.
Fortunately I turned on the pump after adding a gallon of water and bleeding the tank (had more air than Ive ever seen by a mile) and it seems to be running fine.

Any advice? What happened? Should I turn off the pump? We expect freeze tomorrow I believe for a few days.

Watch the pump for any signs of leaks. If there are none, you got very lucky. The cooler weather may have helped. As for why you lost prime, you'll have to watch those skimmers closely as well. If you have 3-way valves in front of the pump, check to see how it is adjusted. Perhaps most water was set to pull from the skimmer in the deep end and when it got clogged with leaves it impacted the pump?

Reactions: Mdragger88
As for the freezing temps coming, as long as the water is moving you are fine. If you have any concerns about the pump losing prime again or losing power, you can just drain everything (really well) prior to the freeze. As insurance in case you're worried about residual water still in the lines or equipment, you can wrap and cover any equipment and above ground plumbing and let it sit until the freeze has passed.

Reactions: Mdragger88
As for the freezing temps coming, as long as the water is moving you are fine. If you have any concerns about the pump losing prime again or losing power, you can just drain everything (really well) prior to the freeze. As insurance in case you're worried about residual water still in the lines or equipment, you can wrap and cover any equipment and above ground plumbing and let it sit until the freeze has passed.
I have been reading what I can to prepare for a freeze and power outage. I was going to get a generator but its too much to learn this fast and I need something that would kick on automatically. The good news is my pool shed is semi enclosed and Im going to put some boxes or something around it even more.
I turned the pump off earlier because I just got concerned I could break something. The pentair system has an auto on for freeze temperature which I will keep an eye on.
Thank you for replying Texas S.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Just wanted to update this since it was still open, and the issue turned out to be a new one... some slight leaf debris (like 3 small leaves and a 2mm twig) got lodged into the skimmer "plate" wall thing that flaps open and closed and it literally closed it. That explains the fact that the skimmer was empty although the deep end skimmer was jam packed. Never had this issue and didn't know those skimmer "doors" could get jammed up. Glad I fixed it before the freeze and that pool pump was running for about 3 days straight!

Reactions: newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.