Pump quit running on high speed

cteal

Bronze Supporter
Jun 25, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Hello out there! I have a problem that reared its ugly head today.

Today the power went off and then quickly came back on. Later I noticed the pump was not running on the pool. So I tried to turn it on and nothing. Later I got the idea to see if low speed would work and it did. So, I thought- well let me see if high speed will work now. I tried it and the pump tries to come on but then gives up after several seconds and clicks off. After it being off several seconds it will click again and let me turn low speed on. I can't turn it on low speed until I hear the 2nd click sound. I guess it is set to stay off for a certain amount of time to protect the pump or something. Could something have gotten fried when the power flickered? Thanks for any help. I could run on low speed but it is slow as Christmas and doesn't circulate the water very well.

First remove all power to the motor. The first thing I would check is the centrifugal switch in the back of the motor. Make sure the springs are still attached and the governor moves up and down freely. While you are at it, you can try cleaning the contacts. If that doesn't work, the next thing to check is the start capacitor. If you have an ohm meter you can check it for continuity. Disconnected from the motor, it should read a short at first and then the resistance should climb slowly with time. If the capacitor is shorted or open, it is bad. Also, look for any bulges in the cylindrical can. Or you can just replace the capacitor to rule it out.

Even though it doesn't look like it, the pool is getting all the circulation it needs on low speed. Most of us on the forum run mostly on lower speeds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.