Pump Pump Timer Recommedation

stev

Jun 4, 2016
New Brunswick, Canada
After having a pool now for 5 years and typically my pool pump runs 24/7 from the time the pool gets opened May/June to late September, I want to install a timer to basically cycle the pump only for 8hrs a day and hopefully save on the energy cost. My pool is a 21ft above ground, pump is 1.5HP Hayward.

I've stumbled on various timers on Amazon, some being Digital some Mechanical. I am leaning towards a Digital just for the ease of programming and setup. I've found this unit as linked below, but one user review states;
I purchased this timer to control a pool pump. It did not work as the pump must be reset each time it shuts off. Probably this timer is a good product, it just did no work for my needs. I am returning it for a refund.

The users review mentioned above makes me wonder if I need a specific timer for pool pumps to prevent that from happening as I do not want to constantly have to reset the pump. Anyone out there able to recommend me a timer that's fair priced? Or feel, that the unit linked is fine for the use I intent? I do not need multiple programming settings for day of the week etc. Any feedback or recommendations are always welcome!

Timer link;

Test your pump and make sure it switches on automatically when power to the pump is turned off and restored (cut power to the breaker or unplug). Some pumps will default to off-mode when power is removed.

Reactions: stev
Put your pool details in your sig so we know what you have.

I'm assuming you have a 110v pump, you need a 20 amp timer, the one you gave listed is 15. Do you have a regular plug or a twist lock? If it's regular any timer that is outdoor, 20 amp will do. Get one that can turn on/off many times during the day so you can run it 30 mins every 4 hours or something so you can run it even less.

I'm a big fan of Kasa TP-Link smart switches and plugs. They have better wi-fi range and reception than my other devices (Meross and Dewenwils/Wion). The app is much more comprehensive and user-friendly as well.

Reactions: setsailsoon
I'm a big fan of Kasa TP-Link smart switches and plugs. They have better wi-fi range and reception than my other devices (Meross and Dewenwils/Wion). The app is much more comprehensive and user-friendly as well.

Not sure if this how I want to go with. The existing plug being outdoors and under a While in Use cover plate think I'd rather just keep the GFCI as is and install a Timer further down the wall.

Put your pool details in your sig so we know what you have.

I'm assuming you have a 110v pump, you need a 20 amp timer, the one you gave listed is 15. Do you have a regular plug or a twist lock? If it's regular any timer that is outdoor, 20 amp will do. Get one that can turn on/off many times during the day so you can run it 30 mins every 4 hours or something so you can run it even less.

Im in Canada, so I'm running at 120V, the pump is 1.5HP. The pump is running of a standard 15A outlet, not sure why the timer would need to be rated at 20A? It's a regular 5-15R receptacle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.