Pump Program Setting Changed By Itself

fairway221

Silver Supporter
Apr 10, 2022
Sioux Falls, SD
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Yesterday ago I noticed that my Pentair Intelliflo VSF pump was running at the maximum system pressure limit. I was not sure at the time how long this had been running like this but the pump felt hot so I turned it off for a while, then started it to run manually at a slow flow for a while. It later resumed it's next scheduled programming, stopping and starting just fine. Today around the same time it was back at it - at max pressure.

I dug deeper and discovered that my daytime scheduled programed flow setting in the pump memory had changed from 35GPM to 140GPM which is the pump maximum and obviously far too high to sustain. I changed the setting back to 35GPM and all seems fine.

But my question is what could have caused the pump to change a setting like this. Nobody had touched the pump for many months so it was not any sort of human error.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

It is unusual. I do not see any automation so you run just off the pump program schedule that you set - correct? No chance another input (such as automation) could have made a change. Could there have been an electrical surge that maybe hit the breaker but reset back to a factory setting? It was one of the programs you set up so somehow it got reset. Did it happen after daylight savings time as that may have got weird in the settings. Just throwing out ideas.

Thanks for the reply. There is no automation involved - just two program cycles during a 24 hour period. But your comments triggered another idea about this. Just prior to when this started I had done a routine chlorine add. When I do this, I put the pump on Quick Clean mode. This runs for 30 minutes at high speed and then the pump resumes its normal program schedule - in this case, the cycle that went haywire.

Perhaps some electronic glitch happened when the Quick Clean ended and my program started - and it altered the flow setting. I repeated that process today and the settings all remained normal. Guess I may never know...

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.