Pump pressure vacuum

Jul 29, 2009
Winnipeg,Canada
I'm having an issue with the pump losing pressure when I go to vacuum. The pump seems fine when he vacuum hose is not attached but as soon I do it seems to fill with air and cannot get pressure. I have replaced the hose twice and that doesn't change anything. I can't think of anything that will solve this issue

I know you didn't ask but a pool that size deserves a big robot that will clean MUCH better that your manual vacuum. I manually vacuumed a 43,000 gallon pool and thought I had gone to heaven when I got a robot.

Tried another hose and still seem to have the issue is it possible there is a leak on the return line and when there is the extra length with the vac hose is is acting up? I have tried pouring water into the skimmer while the hose and plate attached and that doesn't seem to help

I pressure tested the hose and it's good as well I blocked the intake a ndvgh e pump didn't lose prime. I also attached the hose directly to the return and again good. The minute I use the vac plate and basket I lose prime. I think there is a leak i n t hed skimmer what is the best way to find it.

Please use spell check......I couldn't understand your post at first. You are sucking air into the system and dropping prime, right?

The skimmer can't suck in air unless you are blocking the flow of water into the skimmer causing it to run dry. You should be able to plainly see that so I think I must be missing something obvious.

Hi, Sorry I was using a tablet I never use.
I have checked the hose for leaks and it is good.
When I blocked the return the pump didn't lose prime.
I fastened the hose directly to the return and again the pump didn't lose prime and the vac head had suction.
The problem starts when I have the skimmer basket in and use the vacuum plate the pump loses prime.
It is possible I'm missing something but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know this is something quite simple but I still can't understand the scenario.

For your pump to lose prime, it has to suck in air from somewhere on the suction side......that's between the skimmer and the impeller on the pump. (assuming again that the hose is airtight)
When I blocked the return the pump didn't lose prime
That's confusing. the return returns water to the pool (from the filter) and is on the pressure side of your system.....it should not be related to your pump losing prime.

Are you pre-filling the vac hose with water before you connect it to the skimmer?

Duraleigh - wrong terminology, I block the input from the skimmer to the pump and it didn't lose prime.
I have been prefilling the hose and I let it sit in the pool for an extended time and it doesn't help. The pressure gauge jumps back and forth from 0 - 5psi
Soupy - both the plate/basket are below the water line

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.