Pump options & full dissertation on current rig mayhem

Coreyed

Jun 24, 2020
MA
Due to joining this forum, it has been discovered that the plumbing on my DE Quad 60 is reversed somehow. Thanks to this community!
This reversed plumbing pushes water through the cartridges from the bottom up, forcing DE and strenuous pressure into the cartridges and exploding and breaking the brand new cartridges.
Speculations:
1.) Isn't this process what happens when you backwash?
2.) Why not just remove the backwash valve completely and plumb new pipes into the inlet and outlet as designed.
3.) Buy this and keep the backwashing as an option?

I have decided I will cut and replace everything except for the QUAD DE 60. "It can't be that hard" :unsure:

Pump Options - A lot of you all speak highly of VS pumps and some speak highly of dual speed so I think I will get one of those to keep energy consumption and noise down. (My current rig is a 3/4HP Single Speed Pump, and it sucks - no pun intended)
  1. Pentair SuperFlo VS (1.5HP) $715
  2. Hayward MaxfloVS (1.65HP) $800
  3. Hayward Super Pump VS (.85 HP) ($877)
  4. Pentair Dual Speed (1 HP) ($550)
  5. Your Suggestion instead: __________________
I do have this timer T104P, but the trippers don't work anyway. Unit compromised, needs replacement also.
Some of the above pumps look like they have digital timers and so forth, does that mean I remove the T104P and just keep the toggle switch below it? (toggle switch can cut off power to the pump and the neighboring outlet, so I will keep it there.

Finally, is there anything I need to consider that I am forgetting? Does the breaker in the basement need to be evaluated for these pumps?
How do I remove or lower the water levels in the pipes that go into the diverter valve before the pump? I feel like when I cut those I am going to have a lot of water exiting that was stored in the pipes waiting to go to the pump.

The Quad DE really can't be backwashed very effectively.

I would get rid of the backwash valve and just plumb directly.

If you want a multiport, I would get this one:

But, I would just plumb directly.

Where the vertical pipe from the pump does a 90 degree turn to go horizontally, I would use a 3-way Jandy NeverLube instead of the 90 so that you can go to waste if you want.

The SuperFlo. VS should work for you.

Check the breaker to see what size and voltage it is.

Check for rebates available from Pentair and your utility.

Where the vertical pipe from the pump does a 90 degree turn to go horizontally, I would use a 3-way Jandy NeverLube instead of the 90 so that you can go to waste if you want.

Thanks for the information! It looks like a nice pump, I've just learned the warranties on these pumps are terrible and you can't register for one fi you install yourself? Unfortunate.

Also, can you explain what "go to waste" means. Am I a running a pipe off 1/3 of the ports to waste water away that wouldn't enter the filter?
Can you tell me the purpose of doing that?
Also see 'img6'

Attachments

• IMG6.jpg
    IMG6.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 4
4715-01.jpg

You would use this valve instead of the 90.

This way, you can send water to waste or to the filter.

Reactions: Coreyed

I'm going to purchase the Superflo. Do you think for a 15k galloon pool and a QUAD 60 that this rig will work efficiently or is it overkill?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.