Pump not starting, please help !

look30

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Mar 22, 2018
San Jose/CA
Just came back from vacation and main pump won’t start. Pool is murky and have no clue how long the pump was not started. I put the system in service mode and recorded a video . Any suggestions are highly appreciated.
I will add the video shortly to this thread

Add chlorine and put the robot in the pool to mix it up.
Provide us more detail on the pump/motor including pictures of the labels.

Reactions: look30
Is it the same pump?

Does it make any noise at all?

Are you trying to start on High-Speed or Low-Speed?

full

full

Type CXCP has 3 capacitors.

There is a run capacitor for high speed.

There is a start capacitor and a run capacitor for low speed.

The top hump contains a dual run capacitor.

Check the capacitors, measure capacitance and replace if bad.

When was the pump installed?

Has the motor been replaced?

If yes, when and why?

Why is the bond wire not connected to the bond lug?

The capacitor is probably bad.

I would replace the capacitor.

You can access the shaft from the back by "carefully" twisting the back shaft access cover to see if the shaft turns easily.

1689958448033.png

So first of all you guys are AMAZING!.

With the controller in service mode I can start the pump and low speed , I got rid of the air and looks to work fine no strange noises so I went a step further disabled the low speed and high speed kicked in and I should ahve left it at that for today but I tried to see if that will work again and it didn't , once the pump is set to low speed it will start but doesn't revert to high speed any more so with my very little knowledge of electric motors I would assume that is the capacitor like you guys pointed out. If you can help with the correct capacitor spec I will start looking for a replacement ASAP.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When was the pump installed?

Has the motor been replaced?

If yes, when and why?

Why is the bond wire not connected to the bond lug?

The capacitor is probably bad.

I would replace the capacitor.

You can access the shaft from the back by "carefully" twisting the back shaft access cover to see if the shaft turns easily.

View attachment 515836
The Pump was replaced 2 years ago by professional company under home warranty, I have no clue why that wire is not connected... Took them 3 months to come and replace the pump and I have no documentation for that as it was performed under the warranty and they didn't gave me any paperwork.

I went a step further disabled the low speed and high speed kicked in
The controller might be misconfigured and sending power to both windings at the same time or it might be just a bad capacitor.

Remove the capacitor and check the specs and a local pool store or electric motor repair shop should have a suitable replacement.

Be careful when handling a capacitor. It can hold a voltage charge for a long time and you can be shocked by it. To drain all the power out of a capacitor you can touch both prongs together with the shaft of an insulated screwdriver. You may get a spark or pop from the current outflow.

Reactions: Propbndr and look30
If the windings are good, a capacitor should discharge through the windings, so there should almost never be a charge, but the safety warning is still valid because there can be times when a capacitor can store a dangerous charge.

If you find that a capacitor is actually charged, the windings are probably bad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.