Pump not filling! What to do?

Jun 23, 2014
Tucson, AZ
It's been a while since I've had to post (several years of thriving pool life thanks to this forum).

My pump, or maybe the motor, has finally bit it, I think. No water whatsoever coming into it from the Kreepy Krauly or the Skimmer, no pressure in the filter, and it doesn't seem to be any of the usual suspects — I double checked the gasket, cleared the baskets, and tried to clean out the impeller, made sure the water level was high enough. I am still trying to assess if there is a clog somewhere in the skimmer line, but I highly doubt it. Anyway, when reaching to the impeller to clean debris, I did notice that the cap that I usually reach through a little to pull debris out of the impeller now has a lot of play, suggesting to me that something is wrong with the pump itself.

The pump has been with the pool since before moving here (so, at least 6 years, and probably 10). Should I get a new one, or roll the dice on a repair that might delay getting a new pump installed in this weather? So far, I've gotten a quote for an Pentair Superflo that will cost me just under $1000, including installation (this is with rebates), by next Friday.

In case it doesn't show up below, I have a 13,000 gallon pool with a 1 HP Sta-Rite pump (MPR6E-147L) and Pentair Clean & Clear 320 Filter.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Matt

Matt, if you rule-out a blockage and are 99% sure the lack of water flow from the pump itself, you could evaluate a couple things with the existing set-up. Is the motor working properly, and if so, how much longer will it last? 6-8 years is probably a good average service life (plus or minus a year or two). If the motor seems okay for now, then perhaps the impeller and/or diffuser are worn (you mentioned the slack) and need to be replaced. Maybe it just came loose? At that point, maybe replace those and get a motor "Go-Kit" to ensure everything is water-tight. I haven't checked the prices, but maybe $150 or so plus your DIY time? The downside - is it's a gamble assuming that's why the loss of water pull. Also the remaining motor life. A new motor isn't too far away and would probably be about $300 or so.

Then there's the new pump. Certainly more expensive, but about half of that is probably the labor. All new, warranty, peace of mind, quick-turn install, etc. If money isn't a huge issue, the new pump may be a better option. But there are different Super-Flos, so make sure which one they are offering.

However, first make sure you've ruled-out everything else at the equipment pad and PVC lines so that you don't spend $1K and find water still not moving. :brickwall:

Thank you for this great reply. I am leaning toward new pump and will check on the type.

As for issues, I do note an odd bubbling sound from the motor. And in trying to assess a blockage, I turned on a hose in the pump basket area and definitely got water from the hose to get to the skimmer basket area. (I tried a drain bladder but couldn't get it to inflate.) I assume that if I'm getting water from the pump to the skimmer then when I turn on the pump I would get at least a tiny bit of flow, right? I get nothing, suggesting to me it's not a blockages.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.