Maricopa, Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
The problem I'm having is the pump isn't filling all the way up. (Hayward VSP) I checked the lid and gasket, cleaned both, and lubed the gasket. I also checked the two plugs at the bottom. I bought a drain unclogger, it attaches to the hose and forces water away from the pump in case there was a clog. The skimmer basket is clean, the impaler is turning. The water is about an inch away from the lid, maybe 2". It doesn't matter what speed the pump is running or if I put it on vacuum, skimmer, or both. Any suggestions on what else I can check?

Do you mean while the pump cover is on, the pump running, and just run the water over it?
I'm sure that was the intent. Did you confirm the waterline is at the right height and that the skimmer flap (weir) door is operating properly?

Reactions: aztony
Do you mean while the pump cover is on, the pump running, and just run the water over it?

I gave that a try and nothing happened. If that's what you actually meant.

Sorry - Yes while everything is on. I am suspecting a leak around the pump lid and slowly running water over the lid including under the lid will temporarily allow water to enter instead of air and if there is a leak, the pump should fill all or at least more.

Reactions: aztony and Dan7667
Did you check the vacuum hose for tears?
Yes, I had to replace two. The ends broke off on them. Lucky for me I had a few extra that I never used. I did notice the vacuum isn't moving as quickly as it did. Thought it was because the pump isn't filling up. I checked the vacuum and it's not clogged.

Since it appears that you have ruled-out all of the items we typically go to on the suction side (water level, weir, blockage, valves, air leaks at pump, etc), there's only one other thing I can think of before looking at the VSP itself, and that's your filter. In some cases, if the filter is dirty, you'll see a reduction in waster flow which impacts how well the pump basket will remain full. Mine does it. So perhaps clean the filter and restart the system. See if anything changes with the water level after that.

Reactions: aztony

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since it appears that you have ruled-out all of the items we typically go to on the suction side (water level, weir, blockage, valves, air leaks at pump, etc), there's only one other thing I can think of before looking at the VSP itself, and that's your filter. In some cases, if the filter is dirty, you'll see a reduction in waster flow which impacts how well the pump basket will remain full. Mine does it. So perhaps clean the filter and restart the system. See if anything changes with the water level after that.
Actually, that was the next step I was thinking of taking. I cleaned the filters back in May and that's usually good enough until Sept/Oct. I've seen the filters completely brown with a pile of sand on top and it didn't affect the pump flow. I'm wondering if slamming had anything to do with it. The pool was starting to look green, that's why the slam. I'm guessing the green was caused by the monsoon storms we've been having.

Update: I had a feeling dirty filters weren't the problem, so I didn't bother taking it apart. I ended up playing around with the pressure, opening up the pressure relief valve, using different speeds on the pump. That seemed to work, the water is back to the top. The one thing I've noticed is that the vacuum doesn't move as fast as it used to even when the pump is at the top speed. I checked the vac and everything is moving as it should, it's not clogged. The pads and feet are relatively new, I changed them out not too long ago. The hoses seem fine. Trying to figure out what's going on with that now. The water and pool look crystal clear. I think, at least I hope, I'm done slamming. I'll do another OCLT test tonight. I tested the water and everything seems good except the FC (13) and pH (8.2^). I'll adjust the CYA(60) after getting the pH down.

Last edited:
Update: The basket went back to not filling all the way up after I removed the cap to clean out the basket. Today I decided to do a full clean of the cartridge filters and SWG. There was no buildup in the SWG, it was very clean but I cleaned it anyway with some acid and water. The filters were very dirty, which was expected after the monsoon season along with that tiny filter inside the cartridge container(?). Put it all back together and the basket is now full to the top and running great. How do you guys lube the gaskets without getting it all over your hands?

The one thing I've noticed is the pool vacuum doesn't move as quickly as it used to when the pump is put into full vacuum mode. It used to go up the walls when on full power, now it barely moves. It does move when I have the pump set on both vacuum and skimmer but just slow. I checked the vacuum and all the parts are moving and it's not clogged. I changed out the feet and flaps not so long ago. Any ideas on what is up with the vacuum that I should check?

On another note, do any cartridge manufacturers make a cartridge filter where the straps last? The Pleatco/Hayward filters almost all the straps are broken.

I know the major pool stores are considered taboo and I haven't been to one in years. I got an email from Leslie's, they are running a 50% off sale on filters. Just thought I'd pass it along to anyone that is interested. Forgive me if it's not allowed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.