Pump Noise

Fomby

Aug 18, 2015
MISSOURI CITY
Hello all,

This is my first post, I've been lurking for a few months as we just purchased a home with a pool recently and I'd decided to follow the TFP method. So far, so good on the chemistry front. It's really been easier than I expected thanks to the help of this site and the pool math app.

So, on to my question: I have a Jandy VS ProFlo 2.7 pump that has started to whistle/whine off and on and I'm not sure what the cause is. I've done quite a bit of research and bad bearings is the first thing that comes up, but the following variables have me questioning if that's really what's going on here:

- The pool was built in 2016 and it's my understanding that pumps last much longer than that. I realize damage could have occurred and there are always exceptions to the norm, however...
- It doesn't whistle/whine constantly, seems to come on later in the day when it's exposed to full sun in the late afternoon (and has been running for several hours).
- It doesn't whistle/whine if I force it to run in a higher speed.
- Stopping/restarting it usually quiets it down for quite some time.

With those things in mind, is this still likely a bearing problem or are there other problems that can cause this? It seems to me that if the bearings were bad they would always make noise but that could just be wishful thinking on my part as well!

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Fomby

I am no expert, mine is strictly a personal opinion. Bearings can sound smoother at higher speeds because the frequency of the pitch (and general motor noise) is also raised.

Around here at least, we have reliable motor repair places that will diagnose pool pumps in a day or two for CDN$35. I was able to find a place where the pool builders take their clients' pumps for repair.

Mine (Pentair Superflo VS, and extremely quiet pump) is only on it's 4th year and it's definitely louder than last year - so I am guessing that it's the bearings (or impeller or seals) starting to stress or bearings got damp (I leave my pump out in the winter). (And I have been told anecdotally by a third party that newer pumps have cheaper parts and can be expected to start "devolving" after about 3 years. But I have no idea if that is true or just talk.)

But I guess the long and short of it is that you need to trust yourself that something is different, and then go trust a small motor mechanic that has the shop (and pool pump experience) to pull it apart and diagnose it. Otherwise you will only know when the motor housing starts to leak or corrode away that it's time to get a new pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.