Pump Much Louder - Bearings Shot?

Oct 27, 2014
Mooresville, NC
I have the following pump: Jandy Pro Series Stealth Pump SHPF 2.0 and it is not so stealthy anymore! 5 years old. It is much much louder than it has ever been!!! Does this mean the pump and/or motor are on the way out? Flow and pressure in the pool seems to be happening as normal but is the loud noise due to the pump failing or the motor failing? Do I need to replace the just the failing pump or motor or is it recommended to replace the entire unit?

I'd appreciate any recommendations for replacement pumps. Since I live in NC and my pool is saltwater, I do not close it up during the winter. A variable or multi speed pump would be helpful to circulate water when it gets very very cold. Do I need to stay with the same brand (Jandy) to ensure the suction and discharge points are the same and will line up with current piping?

Finally, I am fairly mechanically inclined, but is this a project fairly easily done?

Thanks!

Mike

Mike,

If you are mechanically inclined, then I would try to replace the bearings.. Not sure I would do that until the fall, if it can wait that long.

Another option would be to see if you have a motor repair house near you..

Ask them about pool pumps, as some of them won't touch them...

Does the pump leak out the bottom at all?

If you decide to replace the whole pump, the key, in my mind, is that almost none of them have the same input and output locations, so be prepared for some replumbing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Mike,

If you are mechanically inclined, then I would try to replace the bearings.. Not sure I would do that until the fall, if it can wait that long.

Another option would be to see if you have a motor repair house near you..

Ask them about pool pumps, as some of them won't touch them...

Does the pump leak out the bottom at all?

If you decide to replace the whole pump, the key, in my mind, is that almost none of them have the same input and output locations, so be prepared for some replumbing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim

No, there is no water leakage. I had a feeling that pump connection points are not standard. Thanks for the tip about a motor repair. I assume all that is needed is to disconnect the motor from the pump itself - correct? Does this break the boundary to the fluid side or is the pump itself self-contained? Thanks

Mike

I have pentair equipment, but I assume Jandy is similar. There are some really good Youtube videos on rebuilding pool pumps. I replaced my booster pump motor this year, it was a pretty easy job. I would think motor bearings wouldn't be that much harder. Be warned, fasteners and such may not come apart easily on equipment that has been exposed to the elements for years.

Thanks everyone. I have seen some Youtube videos. Pretty easy to replace the pump. I'll need to get the additional seals, o-rings, etc. Not interested in trying to replace the bearings on the motor since they will likely be very hard to remove (i.e. bearing removal tool!) Plus, I don't know if that is the only thing wrong with the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.