Pump Motor Issues

jborders5

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 19, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Hi all-

I have a 2ez Speed replacement motor that will not start. That shaft spins freely both directions, nothing is clogged in the impeller that I can feel. I replaced the run capacitor and it still tries to start and then shuts down. Video attached... It will try to start, shut down and repeat over and over. Any ideas? Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obyZomvySv4

jborders5

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 19, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
If it has a centrifugal switch, check to make sure that it's not corroded.

Thanks for the suggestion. I opened the back end of the motor and don't see a switch. I did find out the shaft does spin at a slow to medium speed when started, but it looks like there is a thermal protection reset that is shutting it off and restarting.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
How old is the motor?

Are you sure that the new capacitor was the same as the old one and wired the same way?

jborders5

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 19, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Not sure how old the motor is. I assume 2 - 3 years old. The original run cap was a 20mfd @ 370VAC and the closest I found locally was a 25mfd @370VAC. The motor exhibits the same behavior with or without the new run cap installed.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
It looks like the motor was manufactured in February of 2013. Assuming an installation date in 2013, that makes the motor about 5 years in service.

I would try the exact capacitor first. If that doesn't work and the motor was quiet (not loud like bad bearings), it might be worthwhile to run the motor by an electric motor shop for an evaluation.