Pump motor failed

For the last couple weeks our pump motor would hum, then start slowly. This AM it would not start at all, just hummed, then started smoking. The motor is an A. O. Smith 3/4 Hp, 1.27 service factor unit operating off of 230V. Unit is probably 12 years old, was here when we bought the place. Pool is a 14' x 28' inground pool, filter is a sand filter, pump is plumbed with 1 1/2" pipe. So I am in the market for a new pump. Thinking that something variable speed would be a good idea from an energy perspective. I went to the Hayward web site, they have an energy calculator, savings look good, but there were 7 pump options. Any suggestions as to what would be a good solution?

We get quite a bit of lighting here, any of there have electronics that are more bullet proof? Any pumps that are programmable with respect to run times / speed? Current installation doesn't have a timer.

Greetings and welcome.
I don't have advice about new pumps but did want to let you know another option exists. If the wet end of the pump is fine, its possible usually to just swap the motor end with a variable speed..

I had a 1 hp similar to yours, and with 1.5 pipes and similar gallonage and swapped it out for a V-Green 165, which is made by Century (formerly AO Smith.) Cost is $399 at Swimming Pool Supplies - Pool Parts - INYOPools.com.
If you email or call them with your serial number they'll confirm and let you know which type of flange you need (c or square.)

The VGreen 165 runs on a programmable 24 schedule, with settings from 600 to 3450 rpm. With VSPs, you'd be fine with the 1.5 hp because you wouldn't run it on full speed. (With regular pumps, bigger is not better.)
At any rate, just wanted to let you know!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.