Pump Motor Failed - Removal of motor with frozen bolts

Sep 14, 2015
Grapevine Texas
Hello,
This has been a great forum for me and my water has been awesome since I started using it. Thanks to all who have helped in the past.
I have a new issue I need help with.

I have an American Motors 1081 EB854 1.5hp single speed square flange (attached with 4 mounting bolts) motor that's about 3-4 years old.
It's running on a timer and yesterday I noticed the circuit breaker had tripped. Low and behold when I reset the breaker and tried to start the pump all I heard was a hum but the motor wouldn't start.
Having had experience replacing an old AO Smith motor I quickly figured it was a bad start capacitor. I didn't hear the bearings going bad, it seemed to be running fine before so I'm at least hoping it's a burnt out start capacitor. It's an easy fix I can do myself.
But here is the problem.
Having a salt water pool, I didn't realize I should have probably put silicone over the bolts before I attached the new motor (4 years ago). Now, the bolts are completely frozen solid due to the salt and completely corroded. I managed to get 2 out but that's it. So I can't even remove the motor to get to the capacitor.

Any ideas? I've tried WD 40 but 2 of these bolts are so corroded with salt they won't budge. In the future should I just lubricate with silicone the bolts to prevent this from happening again?

Here in Texas, unfortunately my motor is fully exposed to sun, rain, etc and these things just aren't made to last. I seem to burn one out every 3-4 years.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

James,
I am attaching 2 photos. I do actually have to remove the motor. There is a rock wall directly behind it that prevents there from even being enough room for me to get a screwdriver in tpump motor 1.jpgpump motor 2.jpgo remove the back cover on the motor where the start capacitor is located.
Trust me if there is another easier way I'm all for it. Showing 2 views from above and the side.

Ok, you don't want to remove the bolts holding the motor on. That won't work. The motor can't be removed with the impeller on.

The impeller screws on to the motor shaft and acts like a big nut holding the motor to the seal plate.

Just reinstall the motor bolts then remove the stainless steel band clamp and pull the motor and impeller assembly out.

Ok thanks James I will try that. I feel stupid that seems so obvious, sorry.
I was thinking it would be easier to just remove the motor from the impeller without removing the whole band clamp.

Of course, once I remove the band clamp and pull the assembly apart I can easily tilt the motor vertical and remove the back screws to expose the start capacitor.
However, I still have the ultimate problem it seems that when I eventually have to replace this motor those bolts are totally corroded from all the salt.

Will post results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.