Apr 9, 2024
Sanford, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey TFP! Wouldn't be a holiday weekend without some pool woes. At least that's my luck. Was enjoying the water with my daughter this afternoon, a hot day in Florida. I turned on the filter mid-swim and after getting out and doing some other things, noticed no movement in the water. Headed to the pool equipment corral and filter is on, but everything is quiet. Ugh. Only have owned the house a little over 2 years and inherited the pool equipment. It appears I have a Century HST225 single-speed motor 2 1/4 HP. I smell burnt out electronics. I remember this odor maybe a couple of days ago as well and got a bad feeling but didn't act. I turned off the panel and will cool it for several hours before attempting to restart but I'm not hopeful. So i don't really have a good idea as to the age of this unit and my question is can i replace the motor or do i need to replace the entire assembly which includes the pump basket and other plumbing? Please see the pictures attached. Also, how long might i expect to see biologics taking over the water? Yesterday i measured 10 FC, 0 CC 8.0 ph, 71 TA, 310 CH, 80 CYA, 79 degrees. I've read older threads suggesting maybe to get a submersible pump to circulate water somewhat, is that a reasonable idea? Thanks in advance for any good ideas to how to approach this pool emergency.

Eric

1716671814135.jpeg
1716672313985.png
1716672332683.png

Well just an update. I went to try to start the pump just now and she started right up. Hmm. Perhaps was the pump getting overloaded and auto-shutoff? My daughter and I were making lots of waves and having fun, maybe it sucked in some air to the line. I shouldn’t have been running the filter when she got a little crazy with the waves perhaps. Nevertheless I will be monitoring the situation.

Maybe about 2 hours later she cut out again. Enough to mix in some bleach I added and filter some. I have an enclosure so not too worried about particles, just biologics. Will need to look for a replacement for sure. I only run the filter about 6 hours a day so she’ll rest for the evening and see if it kicks in at 6:30 am tomorrow.

Yeah i think there is some thermal circuit that cuts off when overheating. I've read elsewhere that maybe bearings in the motor are shot or nearly. Probably a cheap part fix if the motor itself could be opened up or whatnot, but may be more difficult given its likely age and casing access. Anyways, I'm glad i can at least run it to circulate and will take advantage of the cooler parts of the day for now.

Yeah i think there is some thermal circuit that cuts off when overheating. I've read elsewhere that maybe bearings in the motor are shot or nearly. Probably a cheap part fix if the motor itself could be opened up or whatnot, but may be more difficult given its likely age and casing access. Anyways, I'm glad i can at least run it to circulate and will take advantage of the cooler parts of the day for now.
Sorry, sounds like new-motor time. When the motor runs next time, feel under the casing for air. The motor will get warm/hot very quickly. No air, broken/loose fan. A motor usually won't run more than a few minutes if that is the case.
Any time you smell "that" smell, something has burned in a motor. Could be a wire that has burned in the windings. Maybe at the terminal plate in the back of the motor. When the motor cools it moves enough to establish a circuit but with heat expansion it separates and the motor stops.

Thanks @1poolman1 , i agree it's time for a new motor. I've just ordered an exact replacement motor no ETA as of yet. Maybe someday i'll upgrade entire pump, automation and go variable speed as well. Otherwise it was working fine so i'll just stick with it. It appears to be a relatively straightforward swap-out. Found a basic video here How To Replace the Motor on Your Pool Pump - INYOPools.com. Wiring should be exactly the same and i'll take good photos before disconnecting. Bonding wire as well. In the second photo below, there is a crack in the cement pad at the corner roughly where the motor is resting. There is a bit of a support coming from the pump casing that the motor sits on. I'll have a better look at it all when I get the motor off when ready to do the swap if this looks bad enough to warrant a proper fix.

1716840508536.png

1716840702861.png

Well I’m happy to report this morning I replaced the motor. Pretty happy with myself as all in was $400, a little cursing and a sore back from the tight space at the pool pad. Can’t imagine what the pool guy would have charged me!

Can’t believe the damage to the old unit, literally was burning a hole in its hull!

Attachments

• IMG_6601.jpeg
    IMG_6601.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6593.jpeg
    IMG_6593.jpeg
    670.9 KB · Views: 1