Pump making rattling noise after skimmer level got too low

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I wasn't paying attention and my pool's water level got too low, causing the skimmer to pull in air. There was still water in the skimmer and the main drain was open as was the suction cleaner line. The pump didn't run dry, nor did it lose prime. The pump is a 1/2hp Hayward Tristar, and it's about 4 months old. The pump is running fine, water flow is nice and strong, but I'm getting a rattling noise that's concerning me. Here's a video clip of it: Noisy pool pump - YouTube

The pump basket appears to have a lot of air in it. Does it? You should not have anything more than a stable single small bubble of air showing in the pump basket lid.

Could be some debris etc hitting the impeller but sounds more likely the following:

The fan which cools the motor - Something may have got stuck in there and is now hitting the fan blades just lightly causing that metallic clinking sound.

The pump itself seems to be flowing water OK.

+1 what mknauss said. You are sucking in air. You might try the air bleed valve on top of your filter (if you have one) but I have a feeling that wont stop the issue. You have a suction side air leak. There is an article in Pool School that may help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.