Pump leaking even after replacing housing gasket. Housing gasket did not seem to go in well.

Aug 6, 2018
Indianapolis
Hi all,

I replaced my housing gasket on my Hayward SP2607X10 pump hoping that it would fix a small leak, but it didn't. Still getting a small leak. However, the leak is between the "motor mounting plate" and "seal plate" where there is no gasket. See the picture below, the leak is on the orange line. Previously, it was on the green line. Replacing the gasket did help, but still leaking some (leak is worse on the other side, but more difficult to get a picture)

20220612_201157.jpg

I went to a local pool store and got a diffuser gasket and housing gasket. I used "magic lube" for both of them, but I'm thinking that I might have not used enough, especially on the housing gasket as it was difficult to get on there. Not sure if that could contribute to the leak. Also, it seemed like there was two problems with the housing gasket. One, when I put it into the slot, a bunch of it was sticking out. I was positive I cleaned the slot out, but a bunch of the gasket was still hanging out as if there was a bunch of crud in there preventing it from getting pushed in there. So the gasket wasn't sitting flush as there was some of it "sticking out." It seemed like the slot had a depth of 1/16" but the gasket has a depth/height of 1/4" (not sure on the exact measurements, just guessing). I assumed when I closed it all up and tightened the bolts, it would squish the gasket, which it seemed it did. Secondly, the gasket didn't really seem thick enough. Seemed skinnier than the slot I was putting it into. I verified it was the correct part for the pump (hayward spx1600T).

Lastly, I can really cut down on the leak by making the bolts tight, but I know making them too tight can be a problem. They are starting to really dig into the plastic on the housing and I don't want to risk cracking anything. I know it doesn't originally have any washers, but any reason I can't put some washing on here?

20220612_211724.jpg

Thank you!

Your shaft seal is likely bad.

Manual page 11, Reference #11 "Seal Assembly"

Part: SPX1600Z2

When you get the new part, the white part is press fit into the seal plate, white facing away from motor toward the impeller. You can use some dawn, or olive oil if it doesn't go in easily. Don't use a silicone or PTFE lube. This is a mechanical seal and you want no PERMANENT lubricant, you want one that washes away. Clean the white face to remove any lube before assembly.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.