NewPoolGirlTX

Bronze Supporter
Sep 5, 2021
Austin, Texas
Pool Size
So, I have a leak. First one is under the motor, new one is at the housing. See attached pics. How do I diagnose and repair these? The housing is ancient. Pump motor not as old. Am I looking at a whole replacement with housing? Thank you! (Can't seem to do line breaks on my phone)

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20220704-114428_1.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220704-114428_1.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220703_161610_1.jpg
    20220703_161610_1.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 55
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, you may two suspect areas actually. The leak under the motor could be from the shaft seal that is allowing water to seep backwards from the pump pot to the motor. If it's been that way for a while, rust could be developing inside the motor which is never good. The leak at the housing could be the seal plate O-ring that seals the wet and dry sides from each other. Both are considered DIY-type projects, but the water in the motor is most concerning. No way to really know until you pull it apart and try to look inside. See the link below for parts that may be applicable to your set-up. Always check with the seller first though to ensure you have a good match.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, you may two suspect areas actually. The leak under the motor could be from the shaft seal that is allowing water to seep backwards from the pump pot to the motor. If it's been that way for a while, rust could be developing inside the motor which is never good. The leak at the housing could be the seal plate O-ring that seals the wet and dry sides from each other. Both are considered DIY-type projects, but the water in the motor is most concerning. No way to really know until you pull it apart and try to look inside. See the link below for parts that may be applicable to your set-up. Always check with the seller first though to ensure you have a good match.

You are always so helpful

Thank you

Reactions: Texas Splash
Whelp that went extraordinarily bad. I apparently cannot turn water off to the pump and have to drain the pool below the skimmers.

I am guessing I ruined the motor as I had loosened all the bolts from the housing and the water is coming out from there and I am sure some got into the motor

The plumbing has always confused me and I was misled by a pool guy who came to show me some things

Is it time to call a professional or do I just wait for it all to drain and dry and order a new pump

😢

Are you saying that the equipment pad is below the waterline of the pool, so when you loosened the pump water came pouring out? If so, do you have a tennis ball or something you can put in the skimmer hoe for now? That's if it's even still coming out of the plumbing.

As for the motor itself, don't panic just yet. Motors get wet out in the rain all the time (except during a TX drought) ha ha, so just pull the pump/motor to the side. Leave it in the sun for a couple hours and I bet it dries quite fast in today's heat.

Take your time in this heat. Step back, get a drink, cool off from this crazy heat, then work on that seal plate gasket. Make sure you have it lined-up correctly. Be sure the motor had enough time to dry out completely before you apply power to the unit again. You'll get it.

full

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some people don't use sealant on the shaft seal seat. I do, because that's what the Pentair service video shows. I've used the GE "Silicone II" stuff with no problems. You just want a TINY bit, otherwise you'll have a mess on your hands.

Easiest way to seat the seal is to use a 1" PVC coupler (about 59 cents at home depot).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.