Pump leak between basket and front of motor

mikegmi2

Jun 7, 2019
Michigan
I have a slow leak dripping in the area indicated by the red arrow in the attached pic. Right by where the 4 bolts are that attach the pump basket to the rest of the pump. Is there an o ring in this area that might need to be changed out, or is this the shaft seal? I did just change the shaft seal 2 years ago so i would be surprised if it was that. I've never taken these 4 bolts off, as the only time I have taken the pump apart was when I changed the shaft seal, and that only required to take the pump apart from the clamp.

Does anyone know if there is an o ring in this location? I don't see any cracks in the housing either.

This is a Challenger Pac Fab 2HP pump.

Attachments

• pool pump leak spot.jpg
    pool pump leak spot.jpg
    612.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4231.jpg
    IMG_4231.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 17
Double check the reference model, but it looks like item #21 on the link below.

Thank you, and I think I might have this part actually in an old repair kit I bought back when I replaced my shaft seal. I am now also wondering if this is the cause of the air leak I have been trying to track down...since it is in front of the impeller on the suction side technically, it could be causing an air leak, yes?

I suppose so. Curious to know if it resolves all your problems.
Just changed out this o ring - and my pump must be old because my o ring was a normal o ring, not the double ribbed one in the parts list. Either way it stopped the water leak, but not the air leak unfortunately. Been chasing this air leak for years...this was one of the last things i had never changed out so was hoping it would get rid of that air leak, but no luck.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.