Pump keeps turning off

jrh

Jul 23, 2013
Hello, I have a Hayward Super Pump, 3/4 HP, Model C48J2N131. Lately it has been turning off on it's own. I'm guessing this is the thermal protection since it will restart after a while. The pump is in the shade all day long. Outside tempertures have been a little over 90 degrees. I checked the motor case temperture with an infrared thermometer and it jumps around a lot but reads as high as 230 degrees. I've tried using an instand read thermometer and that reads 185 degrees. It's not making any noise like the bearings are bad. I actually replaced those six years ago. I'm not sure how old the pump is but it was here when I bought the huse 17 years ago. Can anyone tell me if those tempertures are typical? I've cleanded out the baskets and backwashed and rinsed the sand filter. I've also checked the water returns and the water pressure coming out seems to be normal. I'm not sure what can be causing it to overheat.

Assuming you are measuring surface temperature, in the shade, at air temperatures less than 90 F, I would give this as a rough guide:

Below 135 F, good
135 to 150 F, warm
Over 150 F, too hot.
Most likely, the motor is just worn out . check the voltage while running. If the voltage is good, it’s probably time to replace the pump or motor.

Reactions: Mdragger88
If t shuts down and come back on on its own then it sounds like the thermal as you said. It can be just a bad thermal. Can also be a tight bearing causing the amps to increase but they usually tell ya by screaming. Unlikely a bad winding will fix and unfix itself . I have also done a complete inside clean which lowers the temp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.