MiggyV

Apr 9, 2020
San Diego, Ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFP family. My black pump is leaking from the lid. When I took off the lid a bunch of water gushed and it was difficult to put the lid back on because of the water pressure. My questions are:
1) How do I stop water from coming out when I take the lid off?
2) What could be causing the minor leak?
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• B4E128FC-8E28-41F8-ACC0-2C0F8FF19545.jpeg
    B4E128FC-8E28-41F8-ACC0-2C0F8FF19545.jpeg
    526.8 KB · Views: 28
1 - There should be a shut off valve before and after the pump(s) so that you can isolate water flow to/from the equipment pad.
2 - Check the lid O-ring gasket to ensure it's not cracked or otherwise damaged and also that is has a generous amount of pool silicone lube.

I assume the pump is off when you removed the lid......just checking......there is a rubber o-ring that seals the lid so check to make sure it is seated properly and is not cracked or damaged. Get some silicone grease, don't use petroleum jelly, and lube the o-ring well before reinstallation.

1 - There should be a shut off valve before and after the pump(s) so that you can isolate water flow to/from the equipment pad.
2 - Check the lid O-ring gasket to ensure it's not cracked or otherwise damaged and also that is has a generous amount of pool silicone lube.
Thanks. I did check the O-ring and it wasn’t cracked. It looked like it was in great condition. I didn’t see a shutoff valve, but I’ll take another look when I get home. I appreciate the response.

For the life of me I cannot find the shutoff valve. If you see in the picture I posted earlier, I have 2 pumps. I just moved to this house and I’m not sure how things work yet. Any help would be wonderful.

I cannot find the shutoff valve.
Yeah, the pic doesn't show any either. I wasn't sure if there were any other valves out of the picture view. That's odd. Is the equipment pad at a higher elevation that the pool waterline? If the pad is higher than the water, then that could explain why no valves were installed since gravity would keep water in the pool.

I would see if there's a small crack in the lid or if the locking piece with lid is damaged some way. Because if it really coming from the lid those are the only areas. Unless you look closer. It may be coming from the connection to plumbing which means it's that piece. That's what mine was and it's been a major ordeal just getting the right size plumbing parts!

Yeah, the pic doesn't show any either. I wasn't sure if there were any other valves out of the picture view. That's odd. Is the equipment pad at a higher elevation that the pool waterline? If the pad is higher than the water, then that could explain why no valves were installed since gravity would keep water in the pool.
Yes, it’s very odd. The pad is the same level as the pool. Here are a few more pictures of my equipment. Another question I had is why do I have 2 pumps?

Attachments

• 815531F9-DFBE-44BA-9273-2E6E2F15CDD0.jpeg
    815531F9-DFBE-44BA-9273-2E6E2F15CDD0.jpeg
    551.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 8F79A5DD-4FBB-45EB-9922-DAEB16C09460.jpeg
    8F79A5DD-4FBB-45EB-9922-DAEB16C09460.jpeg
    623.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 87F6E52F-E08D-442A-A24D-8B5F0E01FEFB.jpeg
    87F6E52F-E08D-442A-A24D-8B5F0E01FEFB.jpeg
    516.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 5F89AA42-1F13-4C79-B1D9-A686CA07E2B6.jpeg
    5F89AA42-1F13-4C79-B1D9-A686CA07E2B6.jpeg
    534.4 KB · Views: 6
I would see if there's a small crack in the lid or if the locking piece with lid is damaged some way. Because if it really coming from the lid those are the only areas. Unless you look closer. It may be coming from the connection to plumbing which means it's that piece. That's what mine was and it's been a major ordeal just getting the right size plumbing parts!
Thank you. I took a closer look and it’s coming from where the lid screws in to the pump. It’s a tiny leak. I’ll try switching out the O-ring, but it’s difficult getting a good seal since I can’t turn the water off from the pump. I just don’t know how and where to do that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, so you DO have valves. Those black/square item with a handle before the white pump and another just before going back to the pool on that higher pipe. Those are your main in & out pool lines. The white pump is your MAIN pool pump. The black pump is probably for cleaning.

Do you have an Intellicenter control panel or something to change from spa to pool or off? Those valves should give you the option to close completely. If you're not sure how to do it, we can get someone to help walk you through it.

As for the pump lid O-ring, also make sure it has a generous amount of pool silicone lube on it.

Okay, so you DO have valves. Those black/square item with a handle before the white pump and another just before going back to the pool on that higher pipe. Those are your main in & out pool lines. The white pump is your MAIN pool pump. The black pump is probably for cleaning.

Do you have an Intellicenter control panel or something to change from spa to pool or off? Those valves should give you the option to close completely. If you're not sure how to do it, we can get someone to help walk you through it.

As for the pump lid O-ring, also make sure it has a generous amount of pool silicone lube on it.
Yes, I have a panel that can control the pool and spa. It’s an ancient system, but it works perfectly. I did want to note that when I took the lid off, the pool and spa were not running, but I still had tons of water coming out and it wouldn’t stop. Thanks for the recommendation.

I did want to note that when I took the lid off, the pool and spa were not running, but I still had tons of water coming out and it wouldn’t stop.
That makes sense if the valves are not closed and/or there is an air leak somewhere on the equipment pad. But first make sure the valves are placed into the CLOSED or OFF position before removing the pump lid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.