Pump is continuously priming

Jul 15, 2017
Baton Rouge LA
I have a Hayward TriStar VS 900 Omni with an OmniHub controller. Over the last couple of days my pump has started randomly entering priming mode multiple times a day and night. And while that is bad enough, the real problem is when it does this it never stops priming. It went for almost an hour priming before I figured out how to get it out of priming. If after the 3 minute priming duration the pump is set up for, I can turn the pump off in the app and then turn it back on and only then can I change the pump speed from the 100% it is set at while priming to something less.

Anyone have an idea on what’s going on and how to stop this from happening again?

I would start with checking your firmware. There was an important update last January. Here's the link In Ground Product Support | Support Center | Hayward Pool Products
I wish this was the problem. I was already running this version and in the middle of the issues I am having there was some more firmware updates that became available. I installed that one via the internet option that was made available by the January update in the hopes that would fix the problem. Unfortunately, it did not.

Thats why I don't like tristar vs.

I have run into four or five with some kind of priming issue like this. I had one did that same thing yours is doing, and one that would jump back an forth on it's own. One I fixed by replacing the vacless (air coming into the pump). The other one like yours I kinda fixed it or not can't tell yet. That one I changed the sand in a TR-140, cleaned some very small junk out of the impellar, and something else minor I forgot what. It worked for awhile, now I'm told it works well most of the time. So I don't what helped and what didn't. The key pad works but the display is out, it has no schedule so it runs 24/7. It seems when we service the pool, if we do something in the right order it will run fine with no issue until the next visit. But we haven't figured out what that is yet.
I have no doubt a new intelliflo would run without any issues.

I have some experience with Omni hubs but haven't seen that issue before. If the lights are coming on and it shows they are on on the app also maybe its programming. If the lights come on, but off on app, maybe the board is energizing the relays or there is some wiring issue in the box.
I had one Omni system that lost connection to the VS pump, the only way I could get it to work again was to hard reset and reprogram the system. Not that big of a deal and it worked.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.