Pump Hydraulics…

Hawkeye16

Jan 31, 2022
Davenport, IA
Good evening -

Odd situation for me that I am sure some of you on TFP have dealt with or know about - new pump is tight, no air leaks or issues but when I open outlet valve fully it’s very loud. If I close the outlet valve back some it quiets down. What is causing this?! Thanks!

Some more info will help evaluate, for example:
- This is a new pump? What make/model?
- What make/model pump did you have before?
- The outlet valve you are referring to, is it the last one on the way to the return jets?
- Can you describe the sound? Maybe like rocks rolling around inside or something else?
- Do you hear this sound on all speed settings?

I would also recommend posting a couple pics of your equipment pad so we can see the plumbing lines and all valves.

Good evening -

Odd situation for me that I am sure some of you on TFP have dealt with or know about - new pump is tight, no air leaks or issues but when I open outlet valve fully it’s very loud. If I close the outlet valve back some it quiets down. What is causing this?! Thanks!
Cavitation. At full open the pump is pushing water out faster than it can bring it in. Usually the sign of a pump too large, clogged suction line, clogged skimmer basket, clogged pump basket. Its not a clogged impeller issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.