Pump hums but won't pump

rllackey28

Jun 9, 2017
Williamson, WV
I know I read this somewhere on here but I can't find it right now. Just opened today. Or attempted it. Been running with the kids and behind. But got everything opened open and ready to go. Kicked the pump on and it just hummed. Then eventually kicked the breaker. Didn't attempt to pull water. I had read somewhere that could be the start capacitor but to try to turn the impeller first. Stuck my fingers back in there and found the center bolt for the impeller and felt around until I could touch the impeller blades. It's stuck tight. So what's my issue? Pump was purchased in 2012.

If it won't spin by hand (better grip by opening up the back), then likely the bearings are rusted tight. Either replace the bearing, or more likely replace the motor.

By opening up the back, do you mean removing black plastic or by removing the electrical cap?

And if I need a new motor would you recommend staying with the 1.5 HP single speed or change it to a dual speed? Is that even possible?

It could be just stuck. Take the plastic cover on the back off and try to spin the motor from there. Make sure the power is off. You could get it unstuck and it run for a long time.

If you have to replace it, I'd go with a 2-speed. You can replace the motor with a 2-speed or sometimes you can find whole 2-speed pumps on sale for about what you'd pay for a new motor.

Post a picture of the motor data plate and we can tell you which 2-speed motor you'll need to replace it.

Do try to spin the motor even if you have to put a wrench on it. Make sure the power is off. I had ants move into mine one winter. Once I broke it loose it was good for another couple of years before I had to replace it.

My father in law stopped today and worked on the pump while I was at work . He was a long time AG 48" deep 24' diameter pool owner and is used to working on his pumps. He couldn't get it to turn. I tried when I got home from my daughter's softball game and I couldn't get it to turn. So now I'm looking at probably replacing at least a portion. Anybody want to offer pros/cons between motor and full replacement and single or dual speed? Much appreciated. I just replaced the plastic housing last year that the plumbing connnects to and holds the strainer basket.

My father in law stopped today and worked on the pump while I was at work . He was a long time AG 48" deep 24' diameter pool owner and is used to working on his pumps. He couldn't get it to turn. I tried when I got home from my daughter's softball game and I couldn't get it to turn. So now I'm looking at probably replacing at least a portion. Anybody want to offer pros/cons between motor and full replacement and single or dual speed? Much appreciated. I just replaced the plastic housing last year that the plumbing connnects to and holds the strainer basket.
It's mostly economics. If you have the money a2-speed motor or Vs motor both payout quickly. If you do keep the old pump definitely do add a seal kit. Your seal most likely failed which caused your problem.

Good Luck!

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, guys help me out here. Talked to the INYO people and looked at their comps. Maybe my numbers are high but I calculate I have nearly 80 ft of head for 1.5" lines. For a 20x40 pool with two skimmers on opposite long side from pump and 4 returns does that sound correct? Based on turning the water over every 8 hrs I calculate needing a 2.5 HP pump not a 1.5 HP pump.

Trying to calculate Head Loss is not trivial and not simply measuring lengths. Plus there is really no need to know it or your flow rates because turn overs do not matter.

Most pools could get away with having the pump running for only a couple hours for chemical distributional. But, often we need to run longer for skimming and cleaning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.