Pump getting louder and water level in basket low - what's a pump's avg age?

Jun 12, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Our pump just had its 10th birthday. It's growing up so quick!!

Shortly after I put in a new filter (went from cartridge to sand) it started acting up - while it never ran perfectly since we inhereted the pool 5 yrs ago (always a bit of air gap just below the clear cover) now it seems like it's louder than usual and the water level in the basket is quite low - just above the inlet to the housing.

I was thinking of going to a 2speed or variable for energy savings but we have those pop-up in-floor cleaners so not sure we'd ever use anything but near-max speed.

My question is, at what point is a pump considered too old to try and save? Should I spend time trying to troubleshoot or should I get a new one? Will I see any energy savings by going to a similarly rated, yet newer pump? Has 'pump tech' advanced at all in the last dozen years?

Thanks!

Like for like on motor will be the same electrical consumption. You might be able to run a VS pump a bit lower than full speed and still have the pop ups work. The electrical usage of a VS pump at 3000 rpm is half that at full speed. You might also find you could run for a couple hours at high speed for cleaning and then more hours at a lower speed for chlorine generation.

Jandy makes VS pumps. InyoPools has a private line of VS pumps that are great for DIY as they have a good warranty. Pentair makes the best VS pump in my view (011018) and if bought through Amazon some forum members are adding on an extended warranty for very little money.

That is up to you. A like for like motor will be the same electrical usage you have now. It will be as noisy as it used to be. A VS pump will be less electrical cost and quieter. But you need to make that value decision.

If you are planning to do this your self be aware you need seals, etc. You might call InyoPools to get their recommendation and see what their pricing is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.