Missouri
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I'm replacing all the equipment for my pool this spring. I had been planning to go with the INTELLIFLO3® VSF but the pool supplier is telling me that's overkill for my pool that only has 2 skimmers, main drain, and 2 returns all plumbed w/ 1.5" pipe. I had been thinking that the VF would make setup easier to make sure the SWG and heater get their minimum flow rate, but I'm not opposed to a cheaper, less complex pump if that makes sense.

What would you recommend in this case?

Rob,

There is not such thing as overkill when talking about a VS pump. They are actually variable horsepower pumps. You just run it at the speed or flow that you want. No doubt that you can buy a smaller pump and it will work, but I personally have three very simple pools and they all have 3 HP IntelliFlo pumps. I'd do it again in a heart beat.

The only down side to bigger pumps is the initial cost.

I run my pump 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM for less than $20 bucks a month. It is so quiet that you have to almost touch it to make sure it is running.

The IntelliFlo3 is even more energy efficient.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: nrobfd_pl
They recommend either the Superflo VS or Whisperflo VS. and said: “I talked to the Hayward Rep and he said that the 1.5" plumbing can't pull enough water thru the lines fast enough to feed the pump and then it cant push it back out fast enough. Even if you dial it down. He said it will burn the pump up. He said that you could go with a smaller Variable speed pump. I didn't talk to the Pentair Rep about plumbing but he did say that he thought the intelliflo3 is overkill for a pool that size. we put intelliflo3 on pools with alot of water features and we add to extra main drains for a total of 4 and two skimmers, all plumbed at 2''. Plus we have 6 returns on the pressure side.

Even if you dial it down. He said it will burn the pump up.
That's pure bullfeathers. My last pump ran 24/7 at 1200 RPMs and was going strong when we moved 8.5 seasons later. Like Jim said above, it's really variable HP and they are literally designed to run at low speeds. But my own PB and GC told me ALL kinds of utter garbage that they had been told by suppliers looking to move product, so I get it. They probably honestly believe the garbage they were told.

had been thinking that the VF would make setup easier to make sure the SWG and heater get their minimum flow rate,
Flow rate is not required for most situations. You can achieve the same basic thing with RPMs. You dial them up little by little until the SWG or Heater turns on, then add 100 RPMs to account for the filter getting dirty over time. Then when you want to run either device, use the RPMs instead of the flow.

Reactions: nrobfd_pl
They came back and said that the 1.5” pipes can’t feed the pump enough water even at it’s lowest speed.

I pointed out that the manual gives instructions for connecting it to 1.5” pipe and then they were suddenly willing to give me a quote on the pump.

They came back and said that the 1.5” pipes can’t feed the pump enough water even at it’s lowest speed.
Rob,

Just total Bull Feathers!!!

I have two rent house pools with 1.5" plumbing and each has an IntelliFlo pump, and they work just fine.

Make sure they install your new pump, no matter what kind, with pump unions. Make sure they are real pump unions and not what you can buy a Lowes or Home Depot.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.